Grooms Cake That Looks Like A Salmon!

Decorating By erin12345 Updated 17 Jun 2010 , 4:50pm by lilyankee5688

erin12345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin12345 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:54pm
post #1 of 6

Does anyone have any info. on making a cake that looks like a salmon that the groom caught? Specifically tips on structure and coloring the cake. Thanks so much!

5 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 4:10pm
post #2 of 6

Do you have a picture of the specific one that the groom caught? A salmon is a very shiny silver fish with pink. Not sure of your skill level but I would carve, cover in fondant and airbrush.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 4:25pm
post #3 of 6

pm cc member Ski- she made an awesome one, and she is super helpful! http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1525714

Ladiesofthehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladiesofthehouse Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 4:28pm
post #4 of 6

Here is a cake I did with a King salmon on it. If I was going to make this dimensional, I would take the same pattern, carve the cake and cover in fondant. You can place small pieces of fondant under the final layer to show dimension too.

The colors were achieved with gels thinned with vodka and different luster dusts to mimic the fish's metallic shimmer from the scales. It is hard to see in the picture, but the color was very realistic in person.

Ladiesofthehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladiesofthehouse Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 4:29pm
post #5 of 6

O.K.--HERE is the picture--sorry icon_redface.gif
LL

lilyankee5688 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyankee5688 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 4:50pm
post #6 of 6

I know that this is not a salmon, but when i read you post, this cake came to my mind. you can get some ideas on how to do the fish. There is some description under the cake... good luck!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1686133

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%