Make Coconut Stick Too Fondant.......need To Know By Tonight

Decorating By megan81 Updated 17 Jun 2010 , 7:31am by CakeDude30

megan81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megan81 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 5:55am
post #1 of 7

I'm doing a soccer cake that needs to be finished tonight and I was going to pipe some buttercream grass around the top of the top cake so that it goes around the soccer ball however for some reason when I coloured my buttercream green it has white flecks all through it. Is there anyway I can fix this and why has it happened? Now I'm thinking I will just colour some coconut instead but how will I get that too stick too the fondant? Do I just spread a small amount of buttercream on top or what?

Thanks so much icon_smile.gif

6 replies
CillsCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CillsCakes Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 6:07am
post #2 of 7

You can either spread a small layer of icing on your fondant or I would just moisten the fondant with water to make it sticky, Then top with coconut.
Either way would work.

scorpio711 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scorpio711 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 6:22am
post #3 of 7

I have done many cakes with coconut as grass. Spread a thin layer of green royal, (soft peak,) icing over board, then colour your coconut green and sprinkle over wet icing, as much as you want. it really does look like grass.

Greetings from Hull England

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 6:26am
post #4 of 7

Or you could use piping gel.

fishabel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fishabel Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 6:40am
post #5 of 7

To do a quick grass, I just spread out the green buttercream and use your spatular on the top to make it look tacky. Just tap your spatular all over the top of it and make it stand up a bit.

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 7:22am
post #6 of 7

Sounds like you probably have clumps in your frosting where your ingredients didn't get mixed all the way through. Probably too late, but you could always try throwing it in the mixer quick and trying to get the clumps out

CakeDude30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDude30 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 7:31am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2twogrlz

Or you could use piping gel.

I agree with everyone but personally believe that almost every problem can be fixed with piping gel. LOL

I love the stuff.

BTW: Piping gel is clear and if you color it, you get a sort of clear transparent color. Try running it through your mixer and see what happens when you incorporate a little bit of air into your gel.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%