I Need Help With A Unusual Wedding Cake

Decorating By brightbrats Updated 19 Jul 2010 , 4:00pm by honeyscakes

brightbrats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brightbrats Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 24

I got a request for a wedding cake that is in the shape of stacked books. I was wondering if I should do them all in the same size or different. And what size you would do them in, it needs to feed 150 people.

She also asked about a topper, what do you think would be a good idea for that ? They both are teachers, so each book is supposed to be a different subject.

Any help you guys could give me on this one would really be appreciated.

Thanks

23 replies
LisaMarie86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMarie86 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 8:52pm
post #2 of 24

I think different thickness would be cool. I think different sizes in general would be cool as well. But for sure different thicknesses.

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 24

What about 'an apple for the teacher" topper?

LisaMarie86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMarie86 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 8:58pm
post #4 of 24

ohhh i like the apple topper idea.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 8:58pm
post #5 of 24

Chalkboard topper with something written on it???

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 9:03pm
post #6 of 24

Chalkboard with their initials in hand-written block letters

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 9:39pm
post #7 of 24

I like slightly different sizes, but not graduated largest to smallest like a regular wedding cake.

brightbrats Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 12:25pm
post #8 of 24

Thanks everybody for the ideas. I ran them by the bride to be, and she loved the apple topper, she would like their initials to be on them.

So, what do you suggest to make the apple out of, or do you recommend a real apple?

Also the cake needs to feed 150 people, what sizes do you suggest for the books ? And should I use the cake recipe thats on here for 3D cakes for sturdier cake, or do you think a regular cake mix will be stout enough.

Sorry for all the questions, but I think this is a cool cake idea, and would love to be able to really show my stuff. Just hope its enough.

Thanks, Lisa

stillsmiling Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stillsmiling Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 6:45pm
post #9 of 24

I was thinking about the apple as a topper too, but if you wanted a more traditional spin on it, how about adam and eve with eve holding an apple? Sort of bride and groom type topper.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 6:54pm
post #10 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillsmiling

I was thinking about the apple as a topper too, but if you wanted a more traditional spin on it, how about adam and eve with eve holding an apple? Sort of bride and groom type topper.

and this sets off kinds of possibilities -- boy handing teacher an apple, etc. (and some just go off to Naughty cake land)

----

what do they teach??

----

some possible titles for books

chemistry of love

it all adds up to love

great lovers in history

love's suites songs (ok, there's my bad music pun for the day)

and for the English majors --- use a real title: Sonnets from the Portuguese by Elizabeth Barrett Browning -- you know who wrote: How do I love thee? Let me count the ways. ...

full poem: http://www3.amherst.edu/~rjyanco94/literature/elizabethbarrettbrowning/poems/sonnetsfromtheportuguese/howdoilovetheeletmecounttheways.html

Dolledupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dolledupcakes Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 7:07pm
post #11 of 24

I would use sheet sizes. The smallest or med size would work.

You can make the apple out of modeling chocolate, or GP maybe fondant. Or RKT.

Buddy from Cake Boss just did a magazine cake... take a look at that for ideas.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 7:10pm
post #12 of 24

I love this idea! I'd make an apple topper from RKTs and cover it with ganache (or RI) and then fondant.
To see how many books you would need, decide on what size and thicknesses you'd like to see in the stack of books and then take a look at Wilton's serving charts to see if that would be too little, just enough or way too much cake. After you get an idea, you can adjust your stack accordingly. If it's more than two books, though, I'd stay away from cake mixes - unless you use a doctored cake mix recipe that makes them come out a lot denser- because you have to take into account how much the covers of the books will weigh (you'll probably need to make them out of gumpaste, not the lightest substance in the world). A cake made with cake mix only might not hold up under so much decoration.

honeyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeyscakes Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 7:25pm
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillsmiling

and this sets off kinds of possibilities -- boy handing teacher an apple, etc. (and some just go off to Naughty cake land)

----

what do they teach??

----

some possible titles for books

chemistry of love

it all adds up to love

great lovers in history

love's suites songs (ok, there's my bad music pun for the day)

and for the English majors --- use a real title: Sonnets from the Portuguese by Elizabeth Barrett Browning -- you know who wrote: How do I love thee? Let me count the ways. ...

full poem: http://www3.amherst.edu/~rjyanco94/literature/elizabethbarrettbrowning/poems/sonnetsfromtheportuguese/howdoilovetheeletmecounttheways.html

HOW AWESOME!!! Doug you are a genius icon_smile.gif
here is a topper I found...I am sure you can easily make your own with gumpaste,if you have plenty of time...http://media.photobucket.com/image/teachers%20cake%20topper/magicmud1/AccountantsWeddingCakeTopper.jpg

What a fun cake...GOOD LUCK!! have fun with it...I am SO jealous icon_smile.gif post pictures when you are done!
- h

brightbrats Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 7:32pm
post #14 of 24

She wants the title of the books to be History, English and True Love. Books are to be purple, yellow and pink.

I'm posting the picture that she sent me, but she said it didn't matter about the people.

She wants a apple cake topper just with the initials on it.

All the help and the ideas are great, thanks and they are appreciated.
LL

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 7:35pm
post #15 of 24

Mold the apple out of RKT then cover in modeling chocolate. A trick I just learned from this wonderful site is to crush some of your cereal before adding it to the marshmallows, you get a smoother finish, easier to cover.

I am thinking a stack of books on their side, varying in sizes, then one standing up next to it, kind of leaning. This one would probably have to be a dummy, but would add depth to the cake. Or you could do a chalkboard leaning against it with their initials in a heart, (like you used to do when you were a kid). Or maybe a note "Do you like me?" with the boxes "yes" and "no" with the yes checked of course.

What a great cake, so many ways to go with it. My wheels are turning!!!!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 7:37pm
post #16 of 24

just to give you an idea of amount of cake. Three 12x18 cakes (2" tall) will give you 162 servings. you can start with these and cut your books out of these.

Also, with 150 servings she'll probably end up with more than 3 "books"

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 2:32am
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2twogrlz

Mold the apple out of RKT then cover in modeling chocolate. A trick I just learned from this wonderful site is to crush some of your cereal before adding it to the marshmallows, you get a smoother finish, easier to cover. . . . . .

I just did that to make softballs and it worked great, but they became very heavy and dense. So if weight is a factor, keep that in mind.

mkirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkirby Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 4:26pm
post #18 of 24

Add a few halos to the apples; teachers are SAINTS to do what they do each day!!

arsen102506 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arsen102506 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 2:49am
post #19 of 24

Maybe books have different sizes and different curves best fits your cake.

brightbrats Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:33pm
post #20 of 24

Just wondering, I need these books to feed 150 people. What sizes would any of you do these books in ? i need them to go from smallest to large just like a regular wedding cake. I'm no good at determining sizes. Please help.

hbarberycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbarberycakes Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:43pm
post #21 of 24

you could also do little "book worms" one with a bow tie and one with a veil. hehe idky i think that's cute. i guess it depends on if they want something serious or fun icon_smile.gif

Nanassweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nanassweets Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 5:55am
post #22 of 24

Make a couple sitting on top of the cake with their legs hanging over as a topper. The idea would be they are sitting on top of their world - education/books

brightbrats Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:02pm
post #23 of 24

OK, here is the cake. The books weren't the best. But I did learn alot.

Thanks for all the help everyone gave me.

Lisa
LL

honeyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeyscakes Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:00pm
post #24 of 24

oh wow! Thanks for posting the picture! not many do that ya know icon_rolleyes.gif
I love the colors ...good job!
- h

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%