Shoulder Surgery-How Long Before...

Decorating By aundrea Updated 19 Jul 2010 , 11:22am by MommaDukes

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 9:41pm
post #1 of 11

you started doing cakes? i had shoulder sugery alittle over a month ago and im having major baking/caking withdrawals!! im still in physical therapy so i know i have awile to go before im back to myself. but im curious to hear from others on the road back to caking.
i had collar bone and rotator cuff sugery- my right side and im right handed.
TIA

10 replies
Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 10:40pm
post #2 of 11

I had rotator cuff surgery on my left side ( thank goodness). I wasn't decorating cakes at the time, but I can tell you it took probably a year for my shoulder to really start feeling normal. Not that it hurt, or I couldn't use it for that long. I still don't have as much strength in that shoulder as I do in the right, but it is a whole lot better than it was before the surgery. I would suggest you do your therapy, no matter how much it hurts. Do the exercises they give you to do at home and follow what the therapist tells you to do.

I would think at this point, if you wanted to try playing around with making a cake go for it. You'll know if your doing too much! You probably don't have much strength for holding any amount of weight on that arm yet, so be really careful if you are getting hot pans out of the oven!

Good luck to you!

iluvpeeks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvpeeks Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 5:32am
post #3 of 11

Hi Aundrea
I know how you feel. I had a serious auto accident 4 years ago. I was working as a visiting nurse, and travelling to my next patients house. I was rear ended by an SUV while stopped at a red light. To make a long 4 years short, I fractured my shoulder and had a torn rotator cuff, and have had 4 major back surgeries ( I have a back full of metal), spinal epidurals, and have lost all feeling in my left leg. I walk with a cane and have a brace on my left leg so I don't trip over myself. Anyway, you will get back to using your arm. You have to be determined to. I just started cake decorating, so I'm very new at this. Due to my back issues I have to pace myself with anything I do. Its the determination that will get you through this. Believe me, my life took a complete turn around. I can't sit around and feel sorry for myself because it just makes me feel worse. I look for things to do, and am enjoying my newest hobby. In fact, I made my first "real cake" for my grandaughters birthday this past weekend, and noone could believe that I made it! When I got home Saturday night from the party, I sat back, and said I DID IT!!! I posted a picture of the cake. Take a peek at it. YOU WILL GET BETTER. It takes time, and good physical therapy, but you will get there. Take care and keep your chin up.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 7:10am
post #4 of 11

I second what Price said about doing your therapy exercises, even if you don't feel like it. Even if you've been doing them for months, and they say to keep doing them.

I haven't had rotator cuff surgery specifically, but I have had a major surgery (reattachment of biceps tendon, removal of damaged cartilage, relocation of other structures to stabilize the joint) and a minor surgery (removal of screws, filing down of bone spur, removal of more damaged cartilage) in my right shoulder. The more recent of the two was over 20 years ago (a week before my wedding!), and I still have to do exercises to keep everything in order. When I get lazy, I regret it.

On the other hand, when I am being good, my shoulder lets me do pretty much anything. I can do a cake decorating marathon. I trained in martial arts for a number of years (up until a few years ago, in fact).

Good luck in a complete and speedy recovery.

aundrea Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 11:15pm
post #5 of 11

thank-you for the encouraging words!! i peaked at your pics and im amazed at the work you've done with the amount of surgery and pain you all must be in.
it is very encouraging. i am faithful with my exercises and do still go to therapy.
i think im going to try to make a fourth of july cake this weekend. of course with out a pipping bag. i know im still not ready for that.
i wish all of you the best in health. and happy baking!!

aundrea Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 5:18pm
post #6 of 11

i cant take it anymore....i really want to make my moms birthday cake next week. im trying to come up with ideas that dont involve too much arm work. yea right.....i know thats what caking/decorating involves.
she loves cinderella. my cake closet keeps calling me so im going to bite the bullet (literally) and try something small.
i know i still cant hold a pipping bag, and im thinking my kids can probably roll out some fondant.
oh well im sure (i hope) it will taste good.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 5:41pm
post #7 of 11

I recommend talking to your therapist and reviewing your goals, ask him/her how long do they think it will take you to be able to hold a piping bag. Your therapist is familiar with your shoulder and can give you a better time frame. I am a workers' comp case manager and I have some people who only take 3 to 4 months and others that take much longer. Please remember on the times I put that statistics show it takes longer for someone with a workers' comp injury to heal than it does someone with a non work related injury. It depends on your ability to deal with pain, how much work the surgeon had to do, and how motivated you are to recover.

greenhorn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greenhorn Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 6:14pm
post #8 of 11

I too am facing the same surgery next week! My husband had it last September and it took him a solid 8 weeks to have a decent amout of mobility. Be patient with yourself and DO THOSE EXERCISES!

As far as your mom's cake, go for simple...something with a ganache poured over the top?

aundrea Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 6:46pm
post #9 of 11

good luck with your surgery! the rehab was a little tougher than i expected but im still in therapy and continue with my exercises.
i would do it again (and i might need to with my left shoulder ugh) but i would plan to get more things done ahead of time.
my surgeon is awesome and i love my physical therapist. so all is good. just getting really frustrated because i havent been able to do any baking.

iluvpeeks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvpeeks Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 3:04am
post #10 of 11

Hi aundrea
I'm sorry you are having such a tough time. I take shortcuts to doing everything, and try to make it as easy as possible. I can't roll out fondant because of my back injury, so I use my KA with the pasta attachment. I also have the cricut cake machine, it makes things alot easier. Good luck, and don't throw in the towel yet.
Kathy

MommaDukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaDukes Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 11:22am
post #11 of 11

EXCERISE EXCERISE EXERCISE!
I had torn rotator cuff surgery in March 2008 and Dec 2008 same shoulder. Do those stretches and do not do anything you are not supposed to do.

My doc told me NO working for 3 weeks, my boss was totally helpless and sent a limo for me so I could go to work! He knew more than my surgeon. He's a jerk too. It sat back my recovery.
I was not very good about the exercises at home and I can tell it my shoulder is still a little tight but there is no pain. I couldn't pick up a coffee cup without dropping it.

Do that wall climb with the fingers and have your hubby if he hasn't already cut you a piece of pvc pipe to stretch with over your head. Add weight in time. Stretch that shoulder and be a good patient.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%