Buttercream ?'s

Decorating By yummy Updated 15 Jun 2010 , 6:33pm by mamawrobin

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 8:13pm
post #1 of 14

Hi. I made bc last night and have enough to save. I've never froze bc before. It's in a airtight container with plastic wrap on top of the bc; plastic wrap covering the top of the bowl and the lid. Can I freeze it like this or should I put it in a bag too?

Does a cake filled with bc only need to rest?

13 replies
rkei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rkei Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 1:38am
post #2 of 14

Hi Yummy! (I like your username!) I freeze my BC all the time. Like, if there is a month's gap between two birthdays, I just stick my icing bags with the BC in them into a ziplock bag. It tastes fine when it comes out. After of course, it is defrosted. It'll be fine! Hope this helps.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:05am
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy

Does a cake filled with bc only need to rest?

Yes.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:42am
post #4 of 14

You don't need to let a cake filled with buttercream rest. I've been doing this for 13 years...who has time to let cakes sit around? LOL

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:56am
post #5 of 14

I was wondering about the "resting cakes" thing too as I never did it before for bc iced cakes & have rarely had an issue with it bulging, but am doing a 3 tier fondant cake next weekend & was wondering if it makes a difference? should I let these cakes rest after icing in bc & before covering in fondant?

Cakepro Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:58am
post #6 of 14

IMO, nope. Seems like a waste of time to me.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 3:04am
post #7 of 14

The store I work at only does buttercream cakes (grocery store) and we never have time to let our cakes settle. As Cakepro said, who has the time? We sure don't!

And guess what? Our double layer round cakes almost ALWAYS have a nice bulge in the middle. I have to shake my head each time I see them.

mbark Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 3:05am
post #8 of 14

ok thanks much

mbark Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 3:06am
post #9 of 14

oh & to answer your other question Yummy, I use my bc too fast to think about freezing it so can't help you there!

mamawrobin Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 3:57am
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

You don't need to let a cake filled with buttercream rest. I've been doing this for 13 years...who has time to let cakes sit around? LOL

I don't let them "sit around" but I do let them settle for awhile after filling with weight added to the top because I don't want a budge...LOL...Like Rose said they don't have time to let them rest in the bakery where she works and the cakes always have a "nice bulge in the middle".

I just prefer to take the extra time so that my cakes DON'T have bulging around the middle. Good for you that you don't have to thumbs_up.gif I haven't figured out how to prevent the bulge w/o letting my cakes settle before icing.

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 1:58pm
post #11 of 14

I frequently had bulges until I let mine settle. Now, it's a non issue. Give it a try and see if it works for you.
For me it's kinda like an assembly line:
I bake on Wednesday
Level, fill and crumb coat on Thursday and pop them in the cooler to "settle" overnight.
Smooth frost and decorate on Fridays.

Of course, 95% of my cake orders are for Saturday weddings. I readjust when I have a different delivery day.

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 3:18pm
post #12 of 14

Thank you all so much. When I do a fruit/bc filling I always add a thick dam and let them settle overnight. I 've done bc filled cakes before and never really let them rest overnight. I can't say if they buldged after it left me , no one ever said anything about it to me. With all the buldging threads now I'm more aware. I wasn't sure if I would have time to let the cake rest overnight. Now I know that I will have about 4 hours to allow this cake to settle so maybe make the bc filling a little thicker and apply some weight to the top of the cake to help move it along.

Cakepro Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 6:15pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:

I don't let them "sit around" but I do let them settle for awhile after filling with weight added to the top because I don't want a budge...LOL...Like Rose said they don't have time to let them rest in the bakery where she works and the cakes always have a "nice bulge in the middle".

At my bakery, cakes never bulge. Perhaps grocery store bakeries have different standards. LOL

mamawrobin Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 6:33pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:

At my bakery, cakes never bulge. Perhaps grocery store bakeries have different standards. LOL

Cakes never bulge at our bakery either.LOL Wouldn't know about grocery store bakeries....don't work at one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%