Baseball Hat Brim?

Decorating By CandyLady Updated 14 Jun 2010 , 10:01pm by CandyLady

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 5:28pm
post #1 of 8

for all experts that have made a baseball hat, please let me know if I use fondant, will brim harden by this weekend? or should I use gumpaste? I ordered green fondant the color of his hat and if I use gumpaste for the brim, not sure I could get it the same color. thanks for your input. Pat

7 replies
Mamatoboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamatoboys Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 6:59pm
post #2 of 8

I am not an expert, but I made two baseball cap cakes last month. I used a fondant & gumpaste mix. I made the caps on Wed. and they were still a little soft on Sunday night when we ate the cakes. They held their shape and didn't droop, but you could still bend the brim of the caps. It worked out okay for me because my kids love to eat fondant and they prefer it a little softer.

So to answer your question, I'm not sure if it would dry by the weekend, but it may be firm enough to hold it's shape by then. HTH

GL79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GL79 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 7:20pm
post #3 of 8

I also made a baseball cap before, and i only used fondant. Put it in front of a small fan if you have one. The only mistake I made was that I put my baseball cap on top of buttercream cake and by the time it was time to cut the cake the brim lost it's shape. I made mine on a Monday and the cake was due on Saturday.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 7:27pm
post #4 of 8

I haven't specifically made a hat brim before, but...... if it were winter, I'd probably make it out of fondant with some gumpaste mixed in, but at this time of year, I think I'd stick with making it out of gumpaste only. And be sure that once the outside is set, you turn it over so the other side can harden as well.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 7:33pm
post #5 of 8

I mix tylose powder in with my fondant. If you don't have any, mix in alot of gumpaste. It will harden faster. Fondant alone will become soft again if it's humid out.

AXOCutie143 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AXOCutie143 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 7:42pm
post #6 of 8

The picture in my icon was made with a gumpaste brim. I took an actual baseball hat from my husband and cut a template of the brim and then cut gumpaste with the pattern. I wrapped the real brim in plastic wrap, and then laid the gumpaste on it and let it dry for about 3 or 4 days. The fondant was red satin ice, and I just dyed the gumpaste to match.

sammie192 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sammie192 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 8:04pm
post #7 of 8

Has anyone tried making a cap with just buttercream? they don't like fondant.

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 10:01pm
post #8 of 8

thank you ALL...I so appreciate your kindness and help. Pat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%