Liability Insurance

Business By MariaK38 Updated 14 Jun 2010 , 8:32pm by leah_s

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 5:05pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all! I'm getting all my ducks in a row to be able to sell at a farmers market here in town. The only thing I'm waiting on is liability insurance... the market needs you to have it and name them on it. I called my home insurance agent two weeks ago and he still hasn't found anything. Since I"m a home based business, he's putting something on the homeowners insurance to protect the home. That's all done. But the liability insurance is driving us crazy! One company wanted to charge me $7000 a year!
Have you guys had issues with this? What do you do for liability insurance? I can't believe this is such an issue, insurance wise... I just want to sell treats!

Thanks! Maria

4 replies
QueenOfSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenOfSweets Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 5:48pm
post #2 of 5

I did a lot of research with my insurance agent before finally going with State Farm. I'm in Iowa, and I have a policy that covers $1 Million per incident/$2 Million aggregate plus business property for $243 per year. Also, if you do a search of the Cake Business Forum, you'll find a number of posts on the topic that might be helpful.

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 5

thank you! I have a couple of quote requests in that I'm waiting on. I have a feeling my agent is only looking at companies that he currently does business with, which I guess is what he's supposed to do. No harm in looking on my own, though!

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 8:29pm
post #4 of 5

Where are you located? I have similar a coverage and price point as QueenofSweets, but I'm in Indiana. I just called around and found an insurance brokerage-type place who found an insurer in the state that would cover me.

Good luck!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 8:32pm
post #5 of 5

I went with State Farm also. It was half the cost of the previous company my regular agent recommended. grrrr. State Farm actually has a policy for home bakers!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%