Business By aandsmommy Updated 19 Jun 2010 , 4:55am by JanelleH

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 4:03pm
post #61 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetResults

RoccosMom:
I really love the way you post icon_smile.gif

And I must agree, even with my sarcastic post, that I do remember that back in the day wedding cakes being mostly white.

icon_biggrin.gif

I mean sure it's been a while--ok quite a while--but even as I flip through my order book --even of late--most of my wedding orders are for white cake with a Grand Marnier splash, alternating lemon berry filling and whipped cream and fresh strawberries filled smbc iced. It's my signature cake.

That's what my son's fiance wants for their cake in September. She's very chichi.

Well ok I'll use small type instead of tiny.
You could ask nice though.

Why do people list white first then?

LisaMarie86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMarie86 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 7:05pm
post #62 of 72

This sure has turned into a great debate. I think white cake is an old favorite. And I also am from the school of the simpler the better. I dont need anything super fancy in my cake. Sometimes you want just that old favorite white or yellow cake. I got into trouble doing practicals at school because I wouldnt do fancy plating but I think food should look good yes but not overboard where you have to fight to eat it. Oh and Im 23 so not old school. Just think old school about certain things I guess.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 7:20pm
post #63 of 72

WASC (the white one!) is my most picked flavor for wedding cakes. People LOVE it....and it is a pretty white. I offer quite a few flavors, and there are always 3 at a tasting...but 98% of the time at least one layer is the white cake!

Roccosmom - good to see you posting again! thumbs_up.gif (no matter how tiny the font is, I have glasses. icon_biggrin.gif )

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 7:42pm
post #64 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoccosMom

Quote:

RoccosMom:
I really love the way you post icon_smile.gif

And I must agree, even with my sarcastic post, that I do remember that back in the day wedding cakes being mostly white.

icon_biggrin.gif

I mean sure it's been a while--ok quite a while--but even as I flip through my order book --even of late--most of my wedding orders are for white cake with a Grand Marnier splash, alternating lemon berry filling and whipped cream and fresh strawberries filled smbc iced. It's my signature cake.

That's what my son's fiance wants for their cake in September. She's very chichi.

Well ok I'll use small type instead of tiny.
You could ask nice though.

OMG that cake sounds amazing!! Will you share your lemon berry filling???Ill ask please!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 8:02pm
post #65 of 72
Quote:

Because it's the most basic of basic. Doesn't mean that people actually buy it, though. Seriously, I VERY rarely do it for weddings, and I do on average three wedding cakes a week.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 9:54pm
post #66 of 72

I believe you, Kara. It was just a discussion. No worries.

CakeAnd D--just combine some lemon curd with any berry filling--this is what I do~~~

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2008/04/lemon-lemon-lemon-cream-recipe.html

There is no question that is worth every ounce of bother making it.

Then the berry part is like this:

Raspberry filling from K8

Place a 10 oz bag of thawing frozen raspberries (from the grocery store freezer section) or use fresh into a heavy sauce pan with a peeled diced granny smith apple must be very tart apple like gs and one third cup of sugar and a squirt of lemon juice and brought to boil stirring often while cooking gently for about 15-20 mins.

Then in a little cup mix 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of water, then pour into bubbling fruit stuff stirring vigorously for another two minutes because you don't want the cornstarch to cook and be a cornstarch blob. But this is just insurance--often I make it without any cornstarch--the pectin in the tart apple sets it up

Cool, puree in food processor and then strain out the seeds. Add almond extract if you want. Be sure to securely seal the edges of the filling with buttercream.

You can actually use any combination of berries but I recommend straining the seeds out nothing doubting. This is not difficult and the fresh bursting taste is well worth the little bit extra effort. Enough for a quarter sheet. Yum Yum

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 1:33am
post #67 of 72

YUM! Thanks I will be sure to give it a try!

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 1:58am
post #68 of 72
Quote:

Do you mean to say that this bride in her WHITE dress with her WHITE flowers and her WHITE shoes with her WHITE pearl handled cake knife cut into a cake that was not perfectly WHITE???

*gasp* icon_surprised.gif That's IT!

The inside of her cake did not fit with the color scheme of the wedding - who cares if the FLAVOR was actually correct. People cannot SEE the FLAVOR! It must have CLASHED with the place setting that it was served on - the wedding was completely RUINED!!! I can't believe you wont' refund every penny PLUS write apology notes to every person who attended so they know that it was not the bride's fault that the cake was not white as snow like a wedding cake "should" be.

SHOCKING! Simply SHOCKING!!! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif
You really had me going! I couldn't believe you felt that way....then I read all of it! LOL

icon_twisted.gif LOL!

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 6:03am
post #69 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:

Because it's the most basic of basic. Doesn't mean that people actually buy it, though. Seriously, I VERY rarely do it for weddings, and I do on average three wedding cakes a week.

I very seldom make just a basic white either (for any occasion). My list has a total of 20 flavors starting with white, and it's the unique stuff that brides are asking for. Even plain chocolate isn't as popular as chocolate raspberry, chocolate caramel and chocolate mint. Every bride wants their wedding to be unique from everyone else's, and the non-traditional flavors seem to be really popular around here.

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 7:07am
post #70 of 72

Maybe its my area or my friends, but almost all the weddings (first year since I graduated college that I don't have at least 1 wedding...finally!!) I have been to and all the cakes I make are normally white. Maybe we are more traditional here or maybe we are just like things on the safe side.

I could be wrong, but its hard to find somebody who doesn't like white cake. But you start adding different flavors and/or fillings and you my start losing people (not saying they don't taste wonderful, but they might not be able to eat chocolate or they don't like caramel)

Just my experience in Iowa, but of course I don't make multiple wedding cakes every week.

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 2:38am
post #71 of 72

I wish people would ask for different flavored cakes. When I make cakes for friends and family they only ask for chocolate or vanilla, that's it.... it's like there are not other flavors out there. One friend of mine did ask for strawberry and I just about fell over. And goodness, if you ask them what kind of filling they'd like..... they look at you like you're crazy.

JanelleH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanelleH Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 4:55am
post #72 of 72

It seems to me that (in my area at least) most lay people think of "white" as a color, rather than a flavor...I ask people what flavor of cake/icing they would like, and they look at me and go "Uhh...plain?". In other words, vanilla, not chocolate or marble. If I suggest white cake, they ask me "What flavor is that?"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%