What Do U Think About Frosting Pride Icing??

Decorating By chelita1983 Updated 23 Feb 2011 , 12:37pm by KodiSnip

chelita1983 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelita1983 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 4:18am
post #1 of 9

I HAVE BEEN USING FROSTING PRIDE TO FROST SOME OF MY CAKE BUT I STARTED TO DISLIKE GET REALLY HARD AND UNABLE TO PIPE SMOOTH.
??? WHAT CAN I DO?? OR WHAT KIND SHOULD I USE icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif [/img][/quote]

8 replies
JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 3:18am
post #2 of 9

If it is hard to work with and not smooth, I think you are probably overwhipping it. I prefer Rich's bettercream to frostin pride, but it is harder to find.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 6:13am
post #3 of 9

Frostin Pride takes gel colors better then Bettercreme. It can be hard to work with if you over beat the frosting. If I am making a large cake and want a unified color I take a large bowl with a lid and mix in food coloring by hand. Then I whip in small batches. This is what I did for the large blue tiered star cake in my photos. If you are piping then under mix just a little. I personally don't like using the stuff but I have one customer that insists on whipped frosting. The bad thing is all of her cakes have to be Tres Leches which is a soggy cake to begin with. My brother wanted it on his wedding cake a couple of weeks ago and I told him no. Sounds kind of mean but you can't really do anything for design and I was using a stencil. You can keep a little of un beaten Frostin Pride and if you accidently over mix you and mix in a little at a time. It will soften up the frosting.

misabel99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misabel99 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 8:01am
post #4 of 9

You are overwhipping it and yes you can use any kind of decoration on it!!! I do all the time 3 leches cake with pastry pride frosting and fondant decorations if you look at my pic. Most of my cakes are 3 leches with the pastry pride frosting in some of the pic you can even tell that it's 3 leches!!! Jjj some people likes it reallyyyy wet!!!! I have more pic in photobucket.com/dcocakes. Just try not to overwhipped the pastry pride!! HTH

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 8:02pm
post #5 of 9

I prefer using it for filling and not to frost the whole cake but like some said , some customers just want it. Mostly people who like costco cakes want it, because it is what they use. There is a thread on here (Betttercream fun) that has some great ideas for flavoring and making it better. I always add a box of instant pudding mix to it for flavor (The cheesecake pudding mix in it is soooo good) and it seems to make it easier to work with. It can be used for all decorating, piping , roses, etc. but it is not good to use under a full fondant covered cake.

chelita1983 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelita1983 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 5:30am
post #6 of 9

well thanx u everyone going to take ur advise and also going to try using it less.

Babyprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babyprincess Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 4:41am
post #7 of 9

Would someone be kind enough to give me a recipe frosting using pastry pride for a 9x13 cake...

corpsequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
corpsequeen Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 9:03am
post #8 of 9

I love pastry pride for fillings but I thought the frosting pride didn't taste very good when I gave it a try. Deffinitly not my first choice for frostings!

KodiSnip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KodiSnip Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 12:37pm
post #9 of 9

I bake and decorate alot of sheet cakes and frosting pride is what my family prefers. I think cream cheese buttercream is the way to go myself (yum!) Frosting Pride can be overwhipped and it looks chunky & is hard to pipe - I have done that myself icon_cry.gif Once you start whipping it in the mixer as soon as you have some volume: watch it close, stop the mixer and test it with a spatula. I will whip it in 30 second intervals just to be sure - I also under whip it when its time for piping. To get it smooth I use a large metal scraper. Gel colors work awesome but you will always get a lighter color.

Hope this helps!

OOOh - seeing everyone talk about tres leches - do you have a go-to recipe you could share with me? I've never tried it and it sounds delish

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%