How Do I Get This Cricut Cake To Work???

Decorating By Skidoochic Updated 15 Jun 2010 , 2:53am by Skidoochic

Skidoochic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skidoochic Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 9:34pm
post #1 of 21

I am getting frustrated and need help. Everytime I try to cut with Cricut, it like drags through the fondant. I have frozen the fondant-covered sheet before cutting, I have rolled as thin as I can without tearing. What am I doing wrong? Is the needle supposed to pull out of the cartridge?

20 replies
shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 21

you most likely need to lower the pressure and speed. I usually do 2 bars for pressure and speed.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 10:14pm
post #3 of 21

Use Wilton fondant, roll thin (I use a pasta roller), let dry on mat 10-15 minutes and use medium pressure. Other fondants just don't seem to work. What fondant are you using?

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 10:37pm
post #4 of 21

Be patient. I takes a lot of practice before you get the Cricut right. One thing that helped me was to spray the backing plastic with PAM and I also mix a little gum paste into my fondant. It will work, trust me, it just takes quite a few attempts and a lot of frustration.

sweetsuccess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsuccess Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 10:38pm
post #5 of 21

I just attended a Cricut Cake demo and that question came up. The "dragging" you mentioned will occur if the gumpaste sheet is positioned too close to the edge. The directions may say to do just that, but the demonstrators suggested that you adjust the needle to move 1/2 "? inside and 1/2" down from the edge...play with it. But definitely the dragging occurs when the gumpaste is flush against the edge of the mat.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 10:41pm
post #6 of 21

the only thing I have found works for me is to mix the fondant with tylose then roll it to the thiness of a dime on the mat and then let it dry overnight. By the next morning it's dry enough to cut easily with no tearing.

these are what I cut using the frosting sheet today...tip on those, make sure the mat is well greased and give it a few minutes for the crisco to soak into the frosting sheet before cutting.
LL
LL

tiggy2 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 11:06pm
post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsuccess

I just attended a Cake demo and that question came up. The "dragging" you mentioned will occur if the gumpaste sheet is positioned too close to the edge. The directions may say to do just that, but the demonstrators suggested that you adjust the needle to move 1/2 "? inside and 1/2" down from the edge...play with it. But definitely the dragging occurs when the gumpaste is flush against the edge of the mat.

It will also drag if your medium is too soft.

AXOCutie143 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AXOCutie143 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 11:16pm
post #8 of 21

I use either Wilton fondant + tylose or regular gumpaste, roll it out and put it in a plastic sheet overnight. I struggled with mine for awhile before I figured out what worked best. I usually use medium pressure and speed.

Kaylani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaylani Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 12:42am
post #9 of 21

So if you let it dry overnight does it crack when you apply it to a round cake? icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 12:55am
post #10 of 21

I only let my wilton fondant dry 10-15 minutes and it cut fine.

catlharper Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 1:28am
post #11 of 21

It's firm but not totally hard so it's still very pliable. I started off with 1 hour and then increased the time until I found out what actually worked for me. I use MMF so with the wilton it may dry faster and get harder if you waited that long. I just found that the freezing didn't work for me, waiting for 15 mins was like not waiting at all, still too soft to avoid tearing, and that finally overnight seems to work great. I just bake and wrap my cake, put it in the freezer, roll out a couple of mats of the fondant/tylose mix and set them aside. The next morning I finish my cake and when ready for the lettering I bring out the cricut, cut and place the lettering on the cake. Perfect and easy.

Skidoochic Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 7:07pm
post #12 of 21

Thanks all (I didn't get a message anyone replied.) I will try your suggestions. I just ordered some tylose. How do you use it? I was planning on using chocolate MMF (I need black), but maybe I will have to buy Wilton or Duff's fondant (the wedding is this weekend.) In the meantime, I will continue practicing with Wilton and MMF, once I hear how to use the Tylose. Thanks all!

AXOCutie143 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AXOCutie143 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 8:12pm
post #13 of 21

I've had a REALLY hard time cutting anything chocolate. Maybe it's just because it's so humid here right now, but unless it's a big design that's REALLY simple, I couldn't get it to cut.

Kaylani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaylani Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 10:59pm
post #14 of 21

Awesome tips! Thank you!

Skidoochic Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 12:50am
post #15 of 21

Can anyone help me with the tylose question. It is a powder. Do I add water then ad it to the fondant or do you add it as a powder? There are no instructions on the bottle. icon_sad.gif

catlharper Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 1:03am
post #16 of 21

You add about one teaspoon for every cup of fondant. Just flatten out the fondant, sprinkle on the tylose and knead it all together. Don't add water or anything just knead the tylose and fondant together till it's smooth and well incorporated. HTH. Cat

Skidoochic Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 1:05am
post #17 of 21

Thanks Cat!

tiggy2 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 4:22pm
post #18 of 21

Duff fondant is way too soft and never dries.

Skidoochic Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 4:53pm
post #19 of 21

OK! Thanks for the tip. I used MMF last night with Tylose. Rolled it out and let it sit, so we will see if it works tonight. IF not, I will be buying several packages of Wilton Black fondant tonight!

Skidoochic Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:20am
post #20 of 21

Well the MMF with Tylose that sat overnight did not work. Same problems even after I changed the pressure and speed and moved the cutter in and over (which I had been doing). I have some Wilton sitting on the sheet now (waiting 20 minutes) and then I will try that. Pray this works! My husband is getting really ticked at me for buying this thing and not being able to figure out how to use it!

Skidoochic Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:53am
post #21 of 21

Partial success with Wilton! It cut OK (not great), but I couldn't get it off the Pam sprayed mat without tearing. Trying again with Wilton with Tylose. Not sure what Tylose does, but we'll see. Waiting 15 minutes this time...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%