Icing Expereiment - Royal Vs Glace

Baking By bonniebakes Updated 14 Feb 2014 , 12:56am by Kathy107

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 5:13pm
post #31 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniebakes

Thanks, Susan.... unfortunately, the mandolin was the clear winner. Though I learned to always use the guard!

And that's what you get for thinking you could face off with it! icon_surprised.gif Sorry about that... I lost a VERY quick battle with my agbay one time. I accidentally bumped it with my fingertip and it split it way down so far I was afraid it would never heal! And I mean I barely touched it! icon_cry.gif

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 4:23pm
post #32 of 51

What a fantastic write-up! Thanks so much for posting this.
Tons of great info and comparisons here. thumbs_up.gif

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 4:45pm
post #33 of 51

Thank you for all the info!

I was using Antonia74's royal for all my cookies until I started having an issue last summer. I was having a terrible time with my lips burning and peeling. Then it got better. I made a bunch of cookies, and again lip issues. After another round (yes if it hurts, I always try again just to be sure!) I started to realize there was a connection.

I tried the GeminiRJ recipe, and had no problems. Biggest difference - there is no Merengue Powder in the glaze. After using the recipe several times, I have not had the burned/peeling lips.

As far as the sweetness, I use the Sugar Cookie V recipe that Cookie Crazy recommends. It has sour cream in it, so they have a different texture from the NFSC, and are not too sweet on their own.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 4:48pm
post #34 of 51

Melvira - yep... I definitely should've known better....

Helen - I am so thrilled that you found the information helpful! You have helped me so much over the lat few years, I am honored to be able to give you information! Your icing recipe and inspiring creations are what really prompted me to decorate cookies!!

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 9:57pm
post #35 of 51

Wow Linda! That's really a shame about your lips with the RI. Maybe you could try Powdered Egg Whites instead of Meringue Powder to make RI?

Lcubed82 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 3:49am
post #36 of 51

That's a good thought. I guess they would be stable, just like MP? what about real egg whites?

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 11:44am
post #37 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcubed82

That's a good thought. I guess they would be stable, just like MP? what about real egg whites?

With real egg whites, you run the risk of salmonella...or some other similar bacteria. I know in the "old days" we didn't give this a thought!

antonia74 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 12:53pm
post #38 of 51
Quote:

Could it be that you're having a reaction to the cream of tartar in the meringue powder? It's a by-product of the wine industry....do you react to drinking wines or anything? (Besides the obvious reactions of course! icon_lol.gif )

You can use egg whites....I often do if I'm getting low on meringue powder. I use 6 oz of whites (that's 6 large egg whites) to replace the 5 T of meringue powder and the first batch of water.

I don't usually do the fresh whites for baby showers though, as pregnant women/children/elderly/low-immune systems have been warned not to consume raw egg whites as GeminiRJ pointed out.

Lcubed82 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:41pm
post #39 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonia74

Quote:

Could it be that you're having a reaction to the cream of tartar in the meringue powder? It's a by-product of the wine industry....do you react to drinking wines or anything? (Besides the obvious reactions of course! icon_lol.gif )

I wonder! I have used meringue powder before, and don't remember this reaction. I only use the Cof T in this recipe, not a regular part of my cooking. Without the CofT, this would be a standard Royal? What is the benefit of the cream of tartar?

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 3:16pm
post #40 of 51

I can unfortunately think of only one 'semi-easy' way of testing that theory. Not that I wish you the pain if there IS a reaction, but it sure would be nice to find out what you're allergic to. (I'm assuming it's an allergic reaction anyway.)

When I get stressed out, I get cold sores. Every time we get together with my MIL, I get a cold sore. She has noticed this. icon_redface.gif Stress also triggers my kidney stones... guess what... hehehe.

bonniebakes Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 8:29pm
post #41 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

When I get stressed out, I get cold sores. Every time we get together with my MIL, I get a cold sore. She has noticed this. icon_redface.gif Stress also triggers my kidney stones... guess what... hehehe.

I'm so sorry for you... but I laughed out loud when I read that post! That is toooo funny!

antonia74 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 11:43pm
post #42 of 51
Quote:

I wonder! I have used meringue powder before, and don't remember this reaction. I only use the Cof T in this recipe, not a regular part of my cooking. Without the CofT, this would be a standard Royal? What is the benefit of the cream of tartar?

It acts as a volumizer when whipping up egg whites/powder, but no.....it's not mandatory, try omitting it. (Some people say it helps the royal icing to harden, but I've never found that. It's the proper liquid/powdered sugar ratio that does that IMHO. icon_smile.gif )

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 1:04am
post #43 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Hmmmm...are our MIL's related? I don't get cold sores or kidney stones, but migraines can be a problem!

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 5:01am
post #44 of 51

Yikes!! I seem to get both on the days we go to the in-laws!

frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 5:22pm
post #45 of 51
Quote:

Thanks, Susan.... unfortunately, the mandolin was the clear winner. Though I learned to always use the guard!

Until this post, I thought you were referring to the musical instrument. I was like, I know they're double stringed, but jeez...

Thanks for this post! I switch between glace and royal and still can't seem to decide which I like better.

bonniebakes Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 8:40pm
post #46 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdiabetes

Quote:

Until this post, I thought you were referring to the musical instrument. I was like, I know they're double stringed, but jeez...

that's so funny! I'm a clutz... a bull in a china shop for sure, but I think I'd even have trouble hurting myself with a mandolin instrument!

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 3:12pm
post #47 of 51

bonnie I just like to thank you as you saved me and answered a lot of questions about comparing GI and RI. icon_smile.gif
Beside since we are officially in the cookie season, I thought to give this thread a bump, because so many CC'ers can use this info.

bonniebakes Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 5:14pm
post #48 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitsky

bonnie I just like to thank you as you saved me and answered a lot of questions about comparing GI and RI. icon_smile.gif
Beside since we are officially in the cookie season, I thought to give this thread a bump, because so many CC'ers can use this info.

glad it helped!

rlowry03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlowry03 Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 1:32am
post #49 of 51

I know this post is old but I ran across it in a search and found it to be soooo helpful! Thanks for doing this experiment!

bonniebakes Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 6:56pm
post #50 of 51

you're welcome! I'm glad it helped!

Kathy107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kathy107 Posted 14 Feb 2014 , 12:56am
post #51 of 51

AThis experiment was great. I am going to try glace again. Has anyone tried meringue powder buttercream?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%