First Time Posting And First Stacked Cake. A Few Questions..

Decorating By pinky317 Updated 12 Jun 2010 , 3:46pm by Kellbella

pinky317 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinky317 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 4:02am
post #1 of 10

Ive found this site super helpful but cant seem to find an answer to a few questions.

1. What cardboard do you use to seperate the cake layers? Do you buy them or make them? If you make it, where do you find the cardboard?

2. I have one 14" Wilton plastic separator(the thing that is made to use with pillars) that I was going to use for the base of the cake. Cake is only 2 layers, a double 12" and 9". Will the plastic be sturdy enough?

Thank you so much for your help!!

9 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 4:21am
post #2 of 10

You buy the cardboards precut in the sizes and shapes for cakes. The Wilton plastic plate may not be strong enough. It's not made for that. Better to glue several cardboards together and cover in Fanci-Foil.

thumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thumbs Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 4:26am
post #3 of 10

I use pre-made foil covered cake boards under each cake. Around here I can get them at my local bulk food store or order on-line.

I also always use a drum board under my cakes. I don't think the plastic plate will hold up and may warp a little in the middle with the weight.

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 4:34am
post #4 of 10

under all my cakes I use foamcore board (found it in the school supplies section of walmart, for a 20x30 peice its like 2.18, did find it cheaper at hobby lobby. ) if its a real heavy cake I use 2 or more foamcore boards. I've made cakes before that bend when using plywood, so I have to be careful. I tend to make ginormous cakes....

Between my layers I use foam core also, sometimes I use normal cake boards that I buy at 5 for 5.00 at walmart (stupid I know, but its the cheapest I can find local) and I buy the largest rectangle ones and cut them to fit.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 5:01am
post #5 of 10

I made a cake board for a wedding cake out of 3/4" plywood. That baby is solid as a rock. I could stand on it without any bowing or bending. I cut it from a scrap from another project so it was practically free.

pinky317 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 1:24pm
post #6 of 10

Ok one more question... maybe a dumb one but If I am making a 9" would I buy the premade in an 8" size so that it wont show? or do they make them to fit exactly the size cake.

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 3:10pm
post #7 of 10

There are no dumb questions. We are all learning from others.

Use a 9", you need to support the entire bottom of the cake.

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 3:20pm
post #8 of 10

Take it from me....the plastic one will not support your cake. I tried that on one of my first cakes. It cracked so bad I almost lost the cake all over the table. I like to use plywood for the bottom and cakeboards between each layer, supported by dowels in the layer below. I wrap all my cakeboards in press n seal so it doesn't get soft from the moisture in the cake, making your cake dry and the cardboard soft. Not so nummy! I buy the same size cakeboard, but trim it just a tad to fit under the entire cake, leaving a little room for frosting around the edges. Depending on how thick you frost you may not need to trim.

Enjoy the journey of caking...it's a fun ride!!!!

pinky317 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 3:39pm
post #9 of 10

Thank you so much everybody!! I returned the plastic and bought some cake boards. They only had 10" and 12" so I will have to trim a little off the 9. Here is the crapper of the day though. My ac has gone out and the cake is for tomorrow. Now Im trying to decide if I should make it and put it in the fridge or wait till tomorrow. I dont want to do it tomorrow because I want it to have a chance to settle. Ughh.....

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 3:46pm
post #10 of 10

It definitely needs time to settle before you ice it..especially if covering it with fondant. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%