Just Begining

Decorating By mfinner Updated 11 Jun 2010 , 3:24am by mom2twogrlz

mfinner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfinner Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 1:10am
post #1 of 6

I have always loved making cakes but until now I have not been too concerned as to how it looked, just on how it tasted. I am thinking about trying my hand at cake decorating and was wondering if any one has any tips. I would prefer to stay away from fondant, while it looks nice it is my opinion that the taste does not live up to the hype. Any tips?

5 replies
stacyllind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacyllind Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 1:38am
post #2 of 6

Welcome to CC!! There are so many great forums on here that give out tips, advice and how to's. I guarantee that if you venture into the "forums" you will be lost in there for hours!!!! I personally have had to limit my time in there or I get nothing done around the house icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
I think a lot of people have a strong dislike for eating fondant because maybe they have had a terrible tasting recipe, but give it a chance, there are a lot of good tasting recipes. I use MMF (marshmallow fondant) and I love taste! Good luck to you! thumbs_up.gif

mfinner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfinner Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 1:47am
post #3 of 6

Thank you... I am always willing to try new recipes and if I can find one for fondant that taste yummy and works that would be fantastic. I actually just became a member of the sight and I am already a huge fan. I have had the chance to go through some of the forum posts but there is so much information icon_eek.gif I can see why you would need to limit yourself.

sweettooth622 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth622 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 2:19am
post #4 of 6

First of all....welcome to CC!
If you need cake help this is the place to find it.
I started really getting into cake decorating just over a year ago and knew practically nothing. You can find just about any answer to any question in the forums. Just be careful....it's addicting!
2nd of all...don't be afraid of fondant. Yes, some of it doesn't taste good, but there are recipes out there that do. Like the one I started with. I tried it because it was the easiest recipe I found. Not alot of ingredients and if you follow the directions exactly there really is no way to screw it up. Here's the link if you decide to get adventurous icon_biggrin.gif http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm
Have fun!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:07am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfinner

Thank you... I am always willing to try new recipes and if I can find one for fondant that taste yummy and works that would be fantastic. I actually just became a member of the sight and I am already a huge fan. I have had the chance to go through some of the forum posts but there is so much information icon_eek.gif I can see why you would need to limit yourself.

Welcome and LOL Good Luck limiting your time!!! MMF is good, but I guess I got lazy, spoiled, and discovered Fondarific. The chocolate tastes like tooties rolls, the strawberry tastes like - strawberry! Yummy stuff!!! thumbs_up.gif
Have fun reading!!!

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:24am
post #6 of 6

Welcome!!! And good luck limiting yourself!!! As I type I should be bathing my children and getting them to bed....instead they are watching a movie and are gonna go to bed dirty!!!! I guess Daddy will have to bath them in the morning, mommy is on CC!!!!! It is an obsession!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%