What's The Key To Vibrant Colors?

Decorating By cakegroove Updated 10 Jun 2010 , 3:32pm by Herekittykitty

cakegroove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegroove Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 6

I am having a hard time getting RED icing vs. almost red. BLACK icing vs. grey. Etc, Etc. I find this issue with buttercream and fondant both. Is it the kind of coloring I purchase? Have tried Wilton & Cake Craft brands.

5 replies
Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 2:55pm
post #2 of 6

I use Wilton's colors and it does work, you just need a lot.

RED: Start with rose pink. I then add no-taste red (most of the time it takes the whole 1 oz jar) Then I add red-red or Christmas red depending on the red you need. Red-red is an orange based red while Christmas red is a blue based red. I make this at least 24 hours ahead of time. The longer it sits the deeper the color you get.

BLACK: If it's okay to have chocolate butter cream, then I start with chocolate first. I then add the black and a little royal blue to get a truer black. Also, let this sit for at least 24 hours.

If you need to start from white butter cream. I make it blue and add brown. Then I add the black.

cakegroove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegroove Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 3:22pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you for the quick response! I guess I was always afraid to add too much for fear it would affect the flavor. I will try your suggestions!

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 3:29pm
post #4 of 6

You're welcome. If you use no-taste red as the main color then you won't get the odd flavor.

For black, I really prefer to start with chocolate. You won't have to use a lot and the flavor doesn't change.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 3:32pm
post #5 of 6

Chefmaster liqua gel colors......very concentrated, takes very little, no bad taste, no starting with a different color, no waiting for it to intensify.

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 3:32pm
post #6 of 6

I use Americolors and never have any trouble getting true colors for either fondant or BC. Granted, I don't make massive batches of either but can double them (w/ a single bactch icing a standard 8-9" cake) and get consistant vibrant colors.

Colors do deepen when left to rest so it is best to make them the night before and then adjust as needed day of.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%