Suggestions On Making Palm Trees

Decorating By kariberry Updated 10 Jun 2010 , 12:35pm by cherrycakes

kariberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kariberry Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 9:17pm
post #1 of 8

If anyone has any ideas how to do palm trees, i like the look of the ones ive seen on here with the large pretzels but im not sure how to do the top, i kinda want to use fondant but how do i attach it so it does not fall off when transporting.... Any idea are greatly appreciated icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 9:20pm
post #2 of 8

I do then with rkt covered with fondant. Then cut out the fonds and glue the heck out of them with gum glue.

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 9:37pm
post #3 of 8

I had a hard time making the frawns for the pineapple in this picture. Finally, I cut cardboard (like the thickness on the back of a small note-sized pad of paper). I glued them together, with lollipop stick sandwiched between. I dipped them in the chocolate melts, twice. Piped edges with royal. I cut this cake, and retrieved them immediately, so that no one would eat them. If you need to serve the palm trees, guess you could do the same with dried fondant? The leaves were very sturdy. Not one broke. Good luck.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1614984

cakeglitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeglitz Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 9:40pm
post #4 of 8

I tried the pretzels but mine got soft and began to fall so I then used 3 small (sharpened) wooden skewers, wrapped them with brown fondant and then attached the palm leaves to long pieces of wire and inserted the wire into the middle of the wrapped skewers and then I placed 3 coconuts (brown fondant balls) on top to cover the wires on top. You can push the skewers all the way down through the cake into the cardboard base (that your cake is on) to keep them in place.

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 10:14pm
post #5 of 8

When I did mine I wrapped a wooden dowel with brown fondant and then made small cuts for the texture. I then made up my leaves and let them dry real good and then put them together with choco melts. HTH

MommaDukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaDukes Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 11:00am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kariberry

If anyone has any ideas how to do palm trees, i like the look of the ones ive seen on here with the large pretzels but im not sure how to do the top, i kinda want to use fondant but how do i attach it so it does not fall off when transporting.... Any idea are greatly appreciated icon_biggrin.gif

I did a cake last week end and I rolled out tootsie roll midgets for the bark of the tree cut it into a triangle and wrapped it aroung the pretzel starting at the top working my way down.
I cut the fronds out of gumpaste, my daughter wanted to put them on the tree and it looks like they were in a hurricane. I used royal icing for glue.

ttukat04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttukat04 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 11:49am
post #7 of 8

I have done palm trees using the thick pretzel rods and royal icing leaves. I piped the leaves out on wax paper and set it over the wilton flower formers (the long white u shaped ones) turned upside down. After they dried, I attached them with a dab of royal.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 12:35pm
post #8 of 8

I use gumpaste leaves and attach them to a pretzel rod with green-coloured chocolate melts. They set up almost immediately and I haven't had a problem with them "melting"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%