New To This! Fondant Woes

Decorating By Bobbie114 Updated 10 Jun 2010 , 2:59am by mandirombold

Bobbie114 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bobbie114 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 8:16pm
post #1 of 6

Hi there,
New to this but addicted to decorated cakes. I am struggling to perfectly cover a cake with fondant I get rolls and messes on the sides and then it tears at the top corners,,,,, is there a trick to this art? icon_cry.gif

5 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 8:26pm
post #2 of 6

Not really. Just keep watching youtube tutorials and keep at it.

It might be tearing because your fondant might be too thin. Try rolling it out a little thicker.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 8:29pm
post #3 of 6

When you are applying it smooth top first then the first 1-2 inches down the sides, the as you are lifting and pulling the fondant away from the cake smooth the sides. If you place it on a can slightly smaller than the cake the fondant hangs down and it is sometimes easier to apply as well.

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 10:01pm
post #4 of 6

I am going through the same thing. Here are the suggestions by all the super friendly and helpful CCers.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=683559&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 2:13am
post #5 of 6

Welcome!! After you practice a little while you will get better! Watch the videos on you tube and the Sharon Zambito DVD - Flawless Fondant - is great!

mandirombold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandirombold Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 2:59am
post #6 of 6

keep practicing. I have only been making cakes for a yr and I can't believe the difference in my covering skills then to now. Now I use my large crisco so the fondant falls to to sides. maybe roll it alittle thicker. just keep on trying.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%