Got To Do My Niece's Graduation Cake, Had A Blast!

Decorating By hsmomma Updated 8 Jun 2010 , 3:24pm by hsmomma

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 12:26am
post #1 of 8

Seems like I'm forever doing cakes that I have no creative say in...this weekend was different. It was such a refreshing change getting to plan, design and create it without any input. Loved the feeling!
It was a surprise cake for my niece's High School Graduation. Thanks for looking!
LL
LL

7 replies
sammie192 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sammie192 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 2:06am
post #2 of 8

very good job! I know she loved it. I want to try making a cake with closed stacked books . what size pans did you use?

VNatividad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VNatividad Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 3:53am
post #3 of 8

Awesome cake! Great job.

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 3:57am
post #4 of 8

LOVE the books!! What a beautiful cake; your niece must have been overjoyed. icon_biggrin.gif

DanaMae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaMae Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 1:49pm
post #5 of 8

What a lucky girl! Fabulous cake for her graduation...I'm sure she'll never forget it. icon_smile.gif

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 2:04pm
post #6 of 8

Wonderful cake!

sweettoothmom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom1 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 2:17pm
post #7 of 8

great job! i always wondered how to do the support of the cake if its hanging off. your books are just slightly over the edge of cakes below, did you do anything special, like a foamcore to keep them from sagging? wonder what if even more overhang than yours, what would i do? thanks if anyone can reply.

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 3:24pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks everybody~ it was so much fun doing a cake that I had complete artistic liberty with.

I always use the SPS system. I just use the prescored legs and cut them smaller for shorter tiers (like the books). The plastic plates they are on allow for overhang a bit with support. I've never had issue with it.

The books were cut down from square and rectangles...never actually measured them, just eyeballed it to make sure they would "fit" okay with the design.

Thanks for looking. It was one of those cakes that I just LOVED how it turned out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%