What Can I Use To Paint The Perfect Gold/silver On Fondant??

Decorating By QueenDisney20 Updated 7 Jul 2010 , 7:42pm by mandymakescakes

QueenDisney20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenDisney20 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 9:26pm
post #1 of 9

Hello there! I am new to cake central and cake decorating and I have a question... I read in a lot of books on gold or silver fondant roses. They say to use edible gold powder, etc. Where can I find a good edible gold to paint with that is used for a gold coin, suitcase buckle, etc.? Thanks so much!! icon_rolleyes.gif
p.s. I didn't mention that I have heard of too many...There is luster dust, shimmer dust, pearl dust, edible chalk, food coloring, paste, non-toxic paint. Which is a good one to actually make it look like real gold?? Thanks so much!!

8 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 10:16pm
post #2 of 9

I use gold or silver luster dust mixed with a tiny bit of vodka. You want to come up to a paint consistancy and no thinner. It also may take a few coats to get a deep enough finish to look like real gold or silver.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 10:27pm
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenDisney20

Hello there! I am new to cake central and cake decorating and I have a question... I read in a lot of books on gold or silver fondant roses. They say to use edible gold powder, etc. Where can I find a good edible gold to paint with that is used for a gold coin, suitcase buckle, etc.? Thanks so much!! icon_rolleyes.gif
p.s. I didn't mention that I have heard of too many...There is luster dust, shimmer dust, pearl dust, edible chalk, food coloring, paste, non-toxic paint. Which is a good one to actually make it look like real gold?? Thanks so much!!

Crystal Colors (sugarpaste.com) are the only FDA approved edible luster dusts (the others are non-toxic but not certified edible). Their Gold makes a gorgeous gold color. You can mix it with clear drinking alcohol (Everclear, vodka, gin, white rum) or lemon extract to make a nice paint.

http://www.sugarpaste.com/catalog/orderPearlColors.htm

Rae

QueenDisney20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenDisney20 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 5:20pm
post #4 of 9

I tried the 24K gold luster dust and mixed it with clear vodka, but it wouldn't mix together. Only a bubble formed and I was unable to paint with it. Why is this I wonder??

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 5:47pm
post #5 of 9

Nothing I've tried has given me that real metallic gold look like Gold Highlighter dust, mixed with vodka.

http://tinyurl.com/2aodau3

Check the ornament on the top of this cake pic to see the effect...

http://tinyurl.com/25ocvg2

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 7:10pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

Nothing I've tried has given me that real metallic gold look like Gold Highlighter dust, mixed with vodka.

Yes, the gold and silver highlighter dusts are lovely, BUT THEY ARE MOST DEFINITELY FOR DECORATION ONLY!!!!! They MUST not be consumed, so only use them on things that will be taken off of the cake before eating!!!!

Rae

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 7:34pm
post #7 of 9

I get mine from Sunflower. They are a beautiful gold and silver color. I thin them with lemon extract and with everclear. http://shop.sunflowersugarartusa.com/category.sc?categoryId=17

brea1026 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brea1026 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 7:39pm
post #8 of 9

I start with airbrush Pearl coloring, then I add a tiny bit of yellow or black-depending- and then I add either gold or silver luster dust. I think that the pearl base instead of vodka or water gives me more even results and keeps it from doing that clumping thing that wetted dusts are fond of doing.

Hope that helps!

mandymakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandymakescakes Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 7:42pm
post #9 of 9

I just use Wilton Pearl Dust and vodka because it's gentle on my wallet, easy to get a hold of, and I think it looks pretty good. (See my Speed Limit Sign and Spongebob cakes for examples). It will take a couple of coats for a more metallic-like finish, so make your pieces ahead of time. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%