Hawaiian For A Hundred

Business By _beckett_ Updated 7 Jun 2010 , 5:53pm by _beckett_

_beckett_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_beckett_ Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 5:15pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a four or three tiered hawiian cake for a hundred people. does anybody know how much I should charge? I'm thinking 200 bucks, $2 a person. I'm putting a waterfall and lots of flowers. It's a wedding shower cake and I always go cheap because it's for friends but I need to charge for time and have issues not feeling guilty for that. Any advice?

4 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 5:22pm
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by _beckett_

....and have issues not feeling guilty for that. Any advice?

Yes..... get over the guilt thing. Today.

How come they dont' feel guilty for making you work for pennies but you feel guilty for charging for your true value? icon_confused.gif

Personally, I think your price is undercharging them, but if you are giving a "friend's discount", that's something else all together.

BeanCountingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeanCountingBaker Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 5

You should calculate your costs before you assign a price. If you don't do the math, your "friend discount" can turn out costing you money for ingredients and supplies on top of not paying yourself for the time.

robyndmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyndmy Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 5:41pm
post #4 of 5

Yep, definitely calculate your regular cost first and what you would charge a 'normal' customer. That way you can then assign a fair 'friend's dicount' that helps them out, but also puts you ahead a little still too.

Also, sounds like it'll be a great cake, and I'm very curious about your waterfall. Do post pics when it's done! icon_smile.gif

_beckett_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_beckett_ Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 5:53pm
post #5 of 5

thank you all for the tips. This is only my second cake so I'm a bit clueless on how to enjoy the fun of it but still seem fair when i want to get paid. I figured if I want more opportunities I should start on the cheap end until my skills improve, or I grow a pair, whichever comes first. icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%