Mulberry Filling Or Mousse?

Baking By hoosierhobbyist Updated 7 Jun 2010 , 5:10am by cakemom42

hoosierhobbyist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hoosierhobbyist Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 9:56pm
post #1 of 8

We have about 15 mulberry trees still fully loaded! I just finished canning 24 jars of mulberry jam and wondered about using mulberries for a cake filling. Has anyone ever tried it or better yet have a recipe? icon_surprised.gif

7 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 10:11pm
post #2 of 8

OH MY WORD! I thought those things were for the birds...literally! I vaguely recall eating them(or maybe it was boysenberries...they were quite bigger than what this tree is producing. These are similar in size to dewberries or blackberries) when I was young and romped through the woods in the summertime.

One popped up a couple of years ago outside my kitchen window...birds made nests in it...we hacked it down...it came back...we hacked it down...it came back...we just hacked it down again 2 days ago...each time, it grew about 20 feet tall. Now, we have to dig up the trunk(due to all the hacking, it made the base quite substantial)

What do they taste like?

hoosierhobbyist Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 10:33pm
post #3 of 8

They are amazing! They are just like a blackberry (a little bigger size & same texture) with a hint taste of blueberries. They are sweeter than any berry I've had. I grew up on them, spent all summer with stained hands and mouth icon_biggrin.gif . Now we have 4 stained children. Our raspberries, blackberries and black-raspberries will be coming ripe in a few weeks.

Just never seen a recipe for them, I'm sure I could probably substitue with a raspberry recipe, etc. But they are much sweeter, so just curious if anyone had found a good balance.

all4cake Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 10:39pm
post #4 of 8

oh, my! I bet...they'd be amazing folded into a cream cheese mousse! The tang of the cream cheese would accent it perfectly! Reckon?

all4cake Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 10:42pm
post #5 of 8

oh, my! I bet...they'd be amazing folded into a cream cheese mousse! The tang of the cream cheese would accent it perfectly! Reckon?

This one adds lemon juice to increase twang/decrease-cut sweetness

http://www.allaboutstuff.com/Cooking/Multiple_Mulberry_Recipes.asp

hoosierhobbyist Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 11:21pm
post #6 of 8

Ooohh that sounds yummy icon_biggrin.gif Will be baking a cake for test purposes, tomorrow, lol, in between jam batches and gumpaste roses! Will report back - I have 5 great taste test subjects!

all4cake Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 4:35am
post #7 of 8

I'll be checking in for updates on the results!

cakemom42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom42 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 5:10am
post #8 of 8

Try these:0)
- Putting them in champange :0)
- Freeze them & then add them to your pancake/waffle batter/pies/muffins/scones/cobbler/pandowdy
- Freeze them in ice cubes & use in punch later on
- Make mullberry coulis (mullberries, a couple of tablespoons of water, a tablespoon of sugar, juice of half a lemon. boil till berries are soft. Strain & you have coulis!!) Then pour the coulis over crepes. Yummy!
- Make martinis out of them :0)
- Add them to pastry cream (use as cake filling)
- Make mullberry mousse, stbilize with geltain & use as cake filling
- Add to your pound cake recipe & bake
- Make it into ice cream and use in ice cream cakes or baked alaska!
- Make sorbet or granite'
- Marinate them & pour over ice cream :0)

Marinade:
Mullberries, cinnamon, vanila, Torini's carmel, brown sugar , & Frangelico or Ameretto (all to taste) let sit for about 20 minutes & Yum!! :0)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%