Smoothing With Hot Knife Method...

Decorating By luvbuttercream Updated 5 Jun 2010 , 9:34pm by luvbuttercream

luvbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbuttercream Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 5

I was advised that the best way to smooth SMBC would be using the hot knife method. I have never tried it before. I am curious if you are supposed to refrigerate your iced cake till set then use hot knife or use it just after icing.?? Also what exactly do you use for a knife I assume a spatula but am looking for some advice I have tried the paper towel method with SMBC after refrigerated and it works a little but not completely. TIA

4 replies
Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 8:37pm
post #2 of 5

I apply a hot spatula immediatley after I ice the cake. Don't let it crust, don't put it in the fridge. I start by ice the cake until it's a smooth as I can get. I then take a tall cup, fill it with boiling water and stick two spatulas in. I remove one of the hot spatulas and start smoothing the cake. Keep wiping the spatula so the icing does not build up on it. As it coolls, I replace it with the other hot spatula. Be sure to shake off the water when you remove it from the cup. Repeat this process until the came is =to smooth. Refrigerate when done. The process can also be done with an ice cold spatual. Either work. Good luck.

luvbuttercream Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you so much this helps a lot.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 9:15pm
post #4 of 5

SMBC doesn't crust icon_confused.gif The Viva method only works for "crusting" buttercreams.

I use the hot knife method on my SMBC and I do it as soon as I've finished icing the cake. I smooth with a flat "scraper" that I bought in the hardware dept. at Wal-Mart. After I smooth it as good as I can with the scraper I use the hot knife method to finish the smoothing.

luvbuttercream Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 9:34pm
post #5 of 5

Awesome thank you mamawrobin!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%