Scatterbrained. Vent.

Business By Kitagrl Updated 8 Jun 2010 , 10:39pm by Kitagrl

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 8:43pm
post #31 of 33

Oh Kita I'm SO in the same boat as you........I literally got SICK this past weekend.

I worked on 200 cookies, a 3 tiered cake, plus 2 double layered 11x15 kitchen cakes for a wedding.......had a couple random sheet cakes to do Mon. Tuesday ( one I forgot and had to make LAST MINUTE), and Wed.

Thursday night I was up until 4 am and back up at 7 am Friday morning w/ my kids (3), worked pretty much the whole day, and NEVER went to bed.....literally worked right up until the last second.....I had to leave by 1pm to get to the reception site by 2pm, and I finished bagging the last of the cookies at 1:05pm....threw on some jeans, chef's coat (oh wait, it's got SOMETHING all over it.....chuck it to the side) put on a nice shirt, pair of shoes and head out the door. 40 minutes into my drive I'm beginning to envision myself setting up the cake when I get to the part in my cake dream where I put the topper on the cake.......

OH NOOOOOOOOo...I forgot the topper!!!! Can't go back for it now!

I set up the cake, start putting out the cookies when the florist says to me....where's the topper? I told her I forgot it.......she says, I'll put out the cookies for you so you can go get it, I thank her (the reception starts at 5pm), I leave and hightail it an hr. back home, and then turn around another hr. back to the reception site with the topper.......walk into a room FULL of guests at 10 minutes to 5pm and stick the topper on the cake!

Walk outside and see the limo pull up ........whewwww.....bride will NEVER know!!!

In any case, I'm getting burned out too.........this is the second weekend I've had less than 4 hrs. sleep from Thursday morning to Saturday night.

I have 3 kids, so I can't come back from the delivery and crash either.....I have to keep going until they go to bed Saturday night at 8pm!

We're going on vacation in July for a week and BOY DO I NEED IT!!!!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 1:41pm
post #32 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Thanks everyone! icon_smile.gif

Yeah I guess I'm torn because as it is I only accept 3-4 orders per weekend...and turning away business (I've been doing it ALOT lately actually) isn't the way to keep a good business reputation...although I suppose being "booked" makes me look good, even if "booked" means I'm doing the kids. haha.

Turning away business just means that you're in demand and people need to schedule sooner.

I agree with this 100%...I have other wedding professionals tell brides to call me, and they always add "She books up really far in advance, so you'd better call her soon." That isn't a bad thing at all, it adds to the sense of urgency and shows that your cakes are in demand!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 10:39pm
post #33 of 33

Wow, KH, that sounds worse than me! My bad thing is that I take time from my kids to do my work, so I often get to bed before midnight (on a bad day, at 2am or 3am but not regularly) but then I have alot of guilt for not spending proper time with the kids.

Went to Six Flags today so that was good, though...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%