When Do I Need To Add Support?

Lounge By KayMc Updated 6 Jun 2010 , 12:36am by springlakecake

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 1:52am
post #1 of 7

I know there are a lot of postings and tutorials on HOW to stack and add support, but are there any instructions on WHEN I need to do this?

6 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 2:03am
post #2 of 7

With each new tier or with every 4 inches of cake. So if you make a tall cake you will need to add a cake board and dowels at the 4 inch mark. Also, even with a regular 4 inch tall 8 inch round cake...if you are adding a heavy decoration you will need a dowel or two under it to support the weight of it on your cake.

KayMc Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 2:44am
post #3 of 7

I'm not sure I understand. If it's every 4", what if I had two 3" layers? I know I'm probably being obtuse.... icon_redface.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 4:17am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayMc

I'm not sure I understand. If it's every 4", what if I had two 3" layers? I know I'm probably being obtuse.... icon_redface.gif

Alot of time my tier may only be 3 1/2 inches tall but I still use supports for that tier. The "rule" is supports for every 4 vertical inches.

KayMc Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 11:21am
post #5 of 7

So, basically anything > a regular two layer cake with each layer being 2", will require supports, right? If I had baking pans that were 3" deep, and wanted to do a two-layer cake that was 8 or 10" in diameter, would this require support since they were 3" deep pans and the result would be a 6" high cake? Sorry for all the questions, but I want to make sure I understand this.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 11:26am
post #6 of 7

If you are not putting another tier on top of the 6" tall one, it will be fine without dowels. I always bake in 3" deep pans and don't end up with 6" tall tiers though...each layer is more like 2".

If you're only doing one tier and it's a tall one, sometimes you want to add supports depending on how the cake is to be cut. A 6" tall slice of cake is a little awkward on a plate sometimes.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 12:36am
post #7 of 7

Whenever there is more than one cake stacked on top of each other. Not for each LAYER of cake, but each separate cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%