Colored Buttercream Cracking??????

Decorating By Briniga Updated 5 Jun 2010 , 3:15am by Briniga

Briniga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briniga Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 11:36pm
post #1 of 9

I made buttercream & colored it purple & its on the cake & now its cracking & looks ugly...why did it do that?

8 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 11:53pm
post #2 of 9

Can you tell us the recipe you used. I color b/c a lot. I make a thin consistency when i cover a cake. I let it set up for about 10 min. Then use the viva paper towel method to smooth. I use several cake board for the sturdiness. So just let us know the recipe and we might be able to help more.

Briniga Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 1:52am
post #3 of 9

1 lb powdered sugar, 1 cup of crisco, 2 tbsp water, 2 tsp vanilla, 1 tbsp merigue, salt

PTBUGZY1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PTBUGZY1 Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 2:13am
post #4 of 9

Briniga- your recipe looks fine, make sure your board is thick enough, not having your board thick enough can cause cracking when the cake is moved, it's happened to me before. HTH

Briniga Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 2:26am
post #5 of 9

Yea I do that...ive had the whoe cake break in half before icon_sad.gif no it started like crusting alot, I put that square pattern on the cake & it was so crusty...I even started doing the pattern right after I covered the cake in buttercream & smoothed & it still started cracking right away :/

icer101 Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 2:35am
post #6 of 9

hi again, the recipe that you made, we make in the wilton class. that is for stiff. you should have added more water to make it thinner to ice your cake. i do believe that is why the icing cracked . in other words to make it thin enought to ice your cake. you should add 2 Tlb. spoons more to the batch you made for thin. that is what the book says. that is what i do to ice the cake that i show the students in class. hth

Briniga Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 2:40am
post #7 of 9

Ok thanks...actually I dont go by the tbsp, i just pour little by little water till it looks right

icer101 Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 3:08am
post #8 of 9

ok, i understand. but if you used the b/c on your cake, that you have given us the recipe for. then that is why it is cracking. it is too stiff. next time , just add the 2 more T. water the recipe calls for , for the icing the cake. you don,t want it too thin either. it will run off your cake.

Briniga Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 3:15am
post #9 of 9

Ok I will try that icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%