Ingredient Labels For Off-The Shelf Items...

Business By pammylynn Updated 6 Jun 2010 , 9:20pm by GypsyQueen

pammylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pammylynn Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 11:11pm
post #1 of 6

Just wondering if anyone knows what the law/regulation is in Texas on whether or not I need to have an ingredient label on the cakes I bake, or other sweet items? So far they are on a pre-order basis, but I hope to have off-the shelf items soon.

Thanks for any help you might be able to give.

5 replies
myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 3:19am
post #2 of 6

I don't know cause I'm not in Texas. if you are doing this out of your home, I will warn you it's illegal.

Your department of agriculture or health department would know for sure.

There is a sticky at the top of this forum that lists the states that allow home bakeries. It may have who to call for your state.

pammylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pammylynn Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 2:47pm
post #3 of 6

No, it's not out of my house. I know that's illegal. icon_surprised.gif) I have a friend with a consignment shop and she's letting me use the kitchen there. We've been working for a few weeks now to get it certified.

I will try to get a hold of the health dept then...

Thanks!

GypsyQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GypsyQueen Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 5:15pm
post #4 of 6

Not sure but if you need any labels know let me know. I design packaging labels and business logos. Now this makes me want to check my own state because people I know have home bakeries...I never thought of it as illegal!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 6:57pm
post #5 of 6

If I sell cut cake and put it in packaging, I have to put an ingredient listing on the package. I wish I knew what to put on it, as I use a commericial cake base to prolong the life of the cake, (and it taste wonderful) Do I have to list all the ingredients in it with the sugar and flour?
I have stayed away from the packaged cake slices because of this...(for reason you don't have to do it with custom cakes or cupcakes in our state)

GypsyQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GypsyQueen Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 9:20pm
post #6 of 6

Oh I see what you mean. I thought you meant just making custom cakes and selling them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%