I Need Advice, Please

Decorating By KayMc Updated 4 Jun 2010 , 9:13pm by KayMc

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 6

OK, I know now that I did this wrong: last evening I cut out 48 loops from Duff fondant in order to make two bows. After all the reading I've belatedly done, this wasn't a good plan. I do not need these cakes until NEXT weekend. Will this fondant dry firm enough in a week's time in order to make bows? Or, shall I call it quits and make them out of gum paste? Since I have a busy week and two cakes due, I can't wait until the last minute. I also have gumpaste flowers and leaves I need to make this coming week.

5 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 8:27pm
post #2 of 6

If the humidity isn't like it is here they will probably dry in that length of time. I made a fondant bow mixed with tylose and after 5 days it wasn't dry. I know that some people make their bows out of fondant only and have no problems. Yours will probably dry unless you have really humid conditions. thumbs_up.gif

KTB4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTB4 Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 8:41pm
post #3 of 6

Sadly I've had a bunch of loops made out of Duff's fondant sitting on my counter for over a week now and they're still semi-pliable. I hope you have better luck.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 8:50pm
post #4 of 6

I too have Duff's loops on my counter. I made them last Sunday- 1 lb fondant with 1 tsp Tylose. Yesterday I was very concerned because they were still "semi-pliable", so I turned one so gravity could have its way to see what would happen. After 5 hours, it looked fine, so I turned all the rest. This morning they all still look fine! I am going to wait till the last moment to assemble the bow, and just go with these. If anything happens, it is a free cake for church, and I can replace with curling ribbon if needed!!!

Jessica_Marie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessica_Marie Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 8:57pm
post #5 of 6

how does the Duff fondant taste? I'm curious. Does it taste decent?

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 9:13pm
post #6 of 6

Jessica, the taste of both the white and the chocolate are FABULOUS!!! I used the white for a pearl border, and it's taste and texture were perfect. Now, these bow loops are chocolate, and I keep breaking off a piece to eat, as it tastes like a Tootsie roll. I can assure you that the flavor is outstanding!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%