Who To Contact In Mn For Licenses?

Business By stacyllind Updated 11 Jun 2010 , 3:35am by MnSnow

stacyllind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacyllind Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 7:18pm
post #1 of 10

I am new on here and I really need some input from someone in MN who knows who I should contact to become licensed and legal. I have had a lot of people requesting cakes lately and I want to make sure that all of my ducks are in a row first! Any info would be so helpful icon_smile.gif Thanks!

9 replies
dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 9:11pm
post #2 of 10

If you look at the top of the forum, there is a sticky post with information for each state.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 9:34pm
post #3 of 10

Welcome...here is a link to the Minnesota Extension Service which offers some good basic information.



Edited to add link.

stacyllind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacyllind Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 9:46pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks! I will look into that icon_biggrin.gif

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 1:46am
post #5 of 10

Very first thing you need to do is get your serv safe class and test done. While your doing that, find a commercial kitchen to use--find out from them who their inspector is. That's who you will meet with for licensing. The inspector will have all the necessary forms with them (mine did)

You give the inspector the copy of your serv safe certification and then it's a matter of paying for your licensing and waiting.

You will also need to go onto the secreatary of states website to file your business name and get you state tax numbers. This can all be done online. Then you get your DBA done (doing business as) as this needs to be published in the paper for 2 consecutive weeks. there is a form that needs to be filled out and notorized to send in with the DBA. You will also need your federal tax numbers (also can be done online).

Getting the serv safe is what takes the longest period of time. For me, from start to finish was about one month.

PM me if you have further questions. BTW, where in MN are you located?

stacyllind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacyllind Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 2:07am
post #6 of 10

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! This is exactly what I was looking for! I am located in Lindstrom, MN and I am not sure how many options I have for renting a kitchen but I will definitely start snooping around for one thumbs_up.gif . Again, I really appreciate such detailed info!! I can't wait to get started!

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 3:46am
post #7 of 10

Super cool! I'm nearer to St. Cloud

Good Luck to you and please feel free to pm me if you need to icon_smile.gif

flourpowerMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourpowerMN Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 2:32pm
post #8 of 10

Stacy, churches can be a great place to start when looking for a commercial kitchen. Many of them are equipped already and the rent may be lower than a cafe or restaurant.

Good luck!!

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 5:26pm
post #9 of 10

I'm in Apple Valley.

MNSnow: When you say it took you from start to finish one month, were you talking about the class or getting licensed?

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:35am
post #10 of 10

Sorry it took so long to answer this.

Taking the class and getting licensed took one month. The class is available online and testing is done at the Dept of Ag Extension offices. I was able to get into the testing within one week of completing the class. I had my kitchen lined up ready to go, and the inspectors name and number ready, as soon as I recieved my notice of passing the test.

So, start to finish was 1 month. Don't know if anyone would ever get that lucky again to have everything just fall into place.

Quote by @%username% on %date%