Quick Question About Refrigeration...

Decorating By isacrowe Updated 7 Jun 2010 , 1:06am by loriemoms

isacrowe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isacrowe Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 4:23pm
post #1 of 18

Hi-
I have a wedding cake for tomorrow afternoon and I have buttercream icing with milk, royal icing birds, fondant, etc....just wondering if I refrigerate the cake if all the fondant decos will get soggy OR can I leave it out for another 30hrs? the temperature in the house is around 75 and if it gets any warmer I'll turn on the A/C...

What do y'all think???

17 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 4:29pm
post #2 of 18

I always refrigerate every cake but you're gonna get different opinions on this one. icon_smile.gif

vickylara2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickylara2004 Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 4:43pm
post #3 of 18

I always refrigerate every cake as well. I don't like to take any chances on the icing or anything going bad. Some say that the high sugar content in the icing prevents the butter and/or milk from going bad but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Also, it will keep the cake from settling too quickly which is also better if the cake is covered with fondant...usually a warm cake starts to settle and fondant buckles.....not good for photo ops. thumbs_up.gif

isacrowe Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 4:50pm
post #4 of 18

my only concern about refrigeration is that I'm wondering about fondant flowers and royal icing birds getting soggy? What do you think?

Kitagrl Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 4:54pm
post #5 of 18

Mine never do, but then I try to make sure the a/c is on my house AND my car, and then of course hopefully on at the destination, so that the condensation is kept at a minimum.

The more humid your area, the more risk there may be, but I personally have never had anything get soggy. Sometimes a bit wet, and it has to dry, but not enough to ruin any decorations.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 5:05pm
post #6 of 18

Can you leave off the birds and place them on the morning of delivery? I have never had problems with chilling cakes with royal icing flowers but the birds might be more delicate.

isacrowe Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 7:08pm
post #7 of 18

Yes, I should have left the birds off, in retrospect.....I actually had planned on doing that, but then I got carried away with the whole decorating thing and put them on....darn impatience!!!!

Well, it's in the fridge for now...I'll keep an eye on it this evening and if it looks like things are getting soggy, I'll take it out...

Thanks for all who replied. It's always nice to know there are people out there who know what they're doing and who are willing to share with those of us who don't! icon_wink.gif

Thanks again!

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 7:37pm
post #8 of 18

Like Kitagirl stated, you'll get different opinions. I never refrigerate my cakes. From a lot of different baking sites, I have read that refrigerating cakes actually will cause them to stale faster. If your house is cool enough then you will be fine and your cake will not get that warm to cause all sorts of problems. Also, it helps with the drastic changes in temperature when transporting your cakes. This is when a lot of frosting, fondant, etc. problems happen IMHO.

Kitagrl Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 7:43pm
post #9 of 18

I've never had stale cakes LOL....but some people say it does...who knows... I do know that cold cake "tastes" stale but when warmed back up to room temp its moist and perfectly fine. Not sure if the "stale cake" people have been eating the cake while cold...

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 8:08pm
post #10 of 18

When we had to refrigerate a cake overnight at the bakery that had fondant decor on it we always put it in a box and wrapped it tightly with saran wrap so as to keep humidity at a minimum. worked like a charm.
People who say refrigerated cake makes it 'stale' faster are eating cold cake. when cake is cold it has a drier texture. Left to warm to room temp it is very moist. If you can avoid putting the fondant until the day of delivery that would be best, but you can refrigerate. Oh, and you don't have to wrap it in a box if it's in the fridge only a few hours.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 8:34pm
post #11 of 18

I NEVER refrigerate my cakes. I don't use perishable fillings so that I don't have to.

The only time I've had an issue with a cake is when I refrigerated one. I know that Edna has said that she never refrigerates a cake once it's filled and Indydebi has stated that she never refrigerates her cakes either. I'm only using them for examples because they both have decorated more cakes than most of ever will. icon_lol.gif

Actually it isn't people that are eating cold cake saying that's it's stale, it's that refrigerating a cake speeds up the process for a stale cake. Indydebi posted a link on a thread about this the other night. Maybe she'll see this and post again. Freezing cakes slows down the process. This is why many do this before icing and decorating their cakes. Refrigerating cakes speeds up the process that makes a cake stale.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 10:59pm
post #12 of 18

Well, I've never had a cake that's been refrigerated become stale. Of course I don't refrigerate them for more than a day and a half max anyway. I freeze my cakes after baking and start frosting them while they're frozen. It's easier. They thaw slowly in the refrigerator under a nice blanket of butter cream. When they come to room temp they're very moist and fresh tasting. I have to refrigerate because I use only real butter in my butter cream and it needs to stay solid. I wouldn't decorate a cake and keep it in the fridge for several days...then it WOULD get stale--not to mention the fondant getting icky.

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 11:09pm
post #13 of 18

I am going to recommend those Polar Fresh containers again. Really seem to help with controlling the humidity in the frig and crisper drawers.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 12:33am
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

Well, I've never had a cake that's been refrigerated become stale. Of course I don't refrigerate them for more than a day and a half max anyway. I freeze my cakes after baking and start frosting them while they're frozen. It's easier. They thaw slowly in the refrigerator under a nice blanket of butter cream. When they come to room temp they're very moist and fresh tasting. I have to refrigerate because I use only real butter in my butter cream and it needs to stay solid. I wouldn't decorate a cake and keep it in the fridge for several days...then it WOULD get stale--not to mention the fondant getting icky.

I don't understand it either. Like I said it was a in a link that Indydebi posted the other night. It was one of those "scientific" explanations based on the "science of baking".

MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 12:52am
post #15 of 18

I have had a cake with royal icing decorations on it go soggy after refrigeration...they were RI flowers and went completely flat. I never put RI decorations on the cake and in the fridge anymore after that time. I'd keep an eye on them.

isacrowe Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 12:35am
post #16 of 18

Hi all -
Thanks for all your advice and responses. The cake ended up in and out of the fridge for about 24hrs. I left it there overnight and the birds did not go soggy - thankfully.

I'm not sure I can handle the stress of wedding cakes! lol
...although, I must say, that since I'm GIVING them away, I don't imagine that they have their expectations really high! I can't imagine the stress that must come from SELLING them!!!

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 12:57am
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by isacrowe

Hi all -
Thanks for all your advice and responses. The cake ended up in and out of the fridge for about 24hrs. I left it there overnight and the birds did not go soggy - thankfully.

I'm not sure I can handle the stress of wedding cakes! lol
...although, I must say, that since I'm GIVING them away, I don't imagine that they have their expectations really high! I can't imagine the stress that must come from SELLING them!!!

Wedding cakes are a special kind of stress. I always say to my husband "If I mess up this cake I am ruining someones wedding day that they have been planning since they were a little girl" to which my husband always " Do you think you could put a little MORE pressure on yourself, My goodness RELAX" I love making wedding cakes, but I definately stress.

Since I changed the subject I will say this, I refrigerate everything. All my fillings and bc's are perishable. But like was said before , you are going to get a lot of different opinions on this icon_smile.gif

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 1:06am
post #18 of 18

go stale? Gads, how long do you keep your cakes in the fridge? I make my cakes hours before delivery (thus never sleep on friday nights) and they are in the fridge maybe 6-8 hours at the most. Moist as can be. THey are easier to ice cold, easier to transport and they just LOOK better. (i also use butter in my buttercream) My biggest problem is if its a hot day, no matter how much the AC is run in the car or the venue, I get blow outs. Haven't figured a way to solve those yet.
I put my gum paste flowers, my royal icing flowers, my sugar veil decos, ribbon, everything on the cake and into the fridge, NO soggy. Maybe its your fridge? (mine are commerical, set at 38 degrees)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%