Ever Forget A Cake Order????

Decorating By KHalstead Updated 4 Jun 2010 , 7:54pm by DeeDelightful

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 41

Evidentally I have!!! I took the order last week, never wrote it down ANYWHERE (or at least can't figure out where), and it's due by 6:00 pm today!

It's in the oven now (2-half sheet cakes) and the fbct is in the freezer now!
Hopefully I can pull this off!!!

40 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 7:14pm
post #2 of 41

You'll pull it off. And it will be the last order you forget to write down.

Good luck!

nikinoonie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikinoonie Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 7:15pm
post #3 of 41

Yikes! Good luck, I bet you get it finished early and then get to sit down with a glass of wine before they get there for pickup! icon_smile.gif

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 7:18pm
post #4 of 41

You can pull it off!!! I have faith in you!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 7:19pm
post #5 of 41

Don't feel bad.....I forgot a child once.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 7:20pm
post #6 of 41

Whoa! That's my nightmare!

The closest I got was writing a customer down for Saturday and they had booked Friday. They called me and I was like...."what?" Thankfully I had other cakes that week and had chosen to finish theirs early...so when they showed up I got over my shock and then boxed the cake up and gave it to them.

At least you know they can't complain that the cake's not fresh. HA.

alvarezmom Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 7:25pm
post #7 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

I'm sorry but that just sounds funny! I bet it was scary at the time..but I do fear that some times. I always check my back seats when I get off my truck in the mornings! Even on the days where I KNOW I dont have my kids with me!

cutthecake Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 7:28pm
post #8 of 41

I'm embarrassed to say it was someone else's kid at nursery school! She's 26 now, and fine! (The mother had a cold and I offered to pick up her child, and I just forgot.) I was mortified.

alvarezmom Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 7:32pm
post #9 of 41

Your totally excused then cutthecake! LOL Once in HS my sister was supposed to give my cousin a ride and forgot her!!! LOL We got all the way home about a 15 minute ride only to have her tell me "Where's Denise"?... Uh, hello!

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 7:45pm
post #10 of 41

Yes!
The customer called in the morning (luckily) to ask if it was OK to come pick up the cake. Somehow I had it in my mind that her 1st Communion cake was for the next weekend!
So I baked and iced and rosed my behind off and got the cake done before the party. I don't know how I did it!

You can do it!

KHalstead Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 8:04pm
post #11 of 41

it's cooling in an empty fridge right now hoping it will cool off with enough time to ice it properly!

I look like a mess!! I was in the middle and I mean MIDDLE of baking off 200 cookie favors for a wedding this weekend (still have to bake 10 cakes for it too) when I decided to call the local party store and double check that they have the cherry filling I need for the wedding cake..........they were like "yup...we got it" I said "great, I'll probably come in tomorrow am and get it" then they said the dreaded words!!! "You have a cake for us today don't you??" me= "uh.....no.........I have this huge wedding order and blocked out the whole week"..them- "no, remember the order you took on Friday for today?? You said it was fine, as long as thursday and on was free" OH NO!!!!!! I totally remember taking the order as soon as they said that and I knew where I was sitting and everything at the time of the call....even put a past cake ON my website so the customer that wanted THIS cake could see it!! lol

DOH!

Oh and when I got married 7 yrs. ago my brother came from Ohio to NJ for the wedding with his then 8 yr. old daughter and everyone piled into a minivan after the wedding and drove 2 hrs. back to my house (my DH and I were on our way to Florida for our honeymoon) when suddenly my brother realized his DD wasn't with them!!! lol

They left her at the reception hall and my MIL and FIL (who had never met my brother or neice before the wedding) took my neice to their house for the night since it was late at night.

My neice still talks about it (she's 15 now) and talks about how my DH's parents are really nice because "they took me in when my dad ditched me, and even gave me cookies RIGHT BEFORE BED!" lol

My brother will NEVER live that one down!!

Oh when my DS who's now 11 was about 2 weeks old I had him in his little carseat carrier and set him down in front of my apt. door, right on the doorstep while I locked the door (you had to use the key to lock it from the outside) and just grabbed my purse, etc. and went to my car, I began to pull out from the parking lot and looked in my rearview mirror to see why my DS was being so quiet and saw the empty seat and was like OHHHHH NOOOOOO..........I must have drove 60 mph the 20 ft. back to my parking space, ran down the sidewalk, and saw my DS sitting there just as calm as could be in his seat!!!

I never told another SOUL about it until he was 5! lol Never forgot him again though!

cutthecake Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 8:16pm
post #12 of 41

Once, I forgot I had a cheesecake in the oven. The smoke alarm refreshed my memory.

KHalstead Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 9:15pm
post #13 of 41

Not only did I finish it by 6pm....I finished it by 5pm and delivered it to the party store (where it was supposed to be originally by 5pm which is when they close) then they deliver it to the party at 6pm!

They stood there shaking their heads as they looked at it and said "I don't know HOW you do it!"

So I mixed, baked, cooled, fbct'd (not a word I know lol), frosted, decorated, and wrote on a FULL sheet cake in exactly 2 1/2 hours.........not bad!!

I remember the days I spent 5 hrs. just decorating one of those puppies

I'll attach a photo of the cake they wanted

and the cake they got in 2 1/2 hrs. (my fault, not theirs)

OH and they specifically asked that the purple be "much darker" this time around! They also obviously wanted something different written on the cake........the most important thing to them was the cross and crown emblem!
LL
LL

cutthecake Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 10:27pm
post #14 of 41

They got a great cake--and on time!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 12:48am
post #15 of 41
Quote:

Once, I forgot I had a cheesecake in the oven. The smoke alarm refreshed my memory.

Forgot I was boiling eggs once. Did you know....? That eggs will actually explode all over the ceiling if the water in the pan evaporates and they keep cooking in a dry pan? No, really! They will! icon_rolleyes.gificon_redface.gif

When I was a kid (like 9 or 10), my mom and 2 of her friends piled all of us into the station wagon (LONG before seat belt laws, so you literally COULD "pile 'em in" a station wagon!) and went to the city park. We had 6 kids; one friend had 6 kids; one friend had 3. 15 kids and 3 adults in one car and off we go! When we got home (we lived in the country .... about a 30 minute drive), my mom realized she was missing a kid! She high-tails it back to the city park and theres' my sister, just a swinging away! She had no idea we had left her there!

cutthecake Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 12:53am
post #16 of 41

"Home Alone" syndrome!

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:11am
post #17 of 41

Nice save! Hope the rest of your prep for the weekend wedding goes well and that you get a chance to relax!

anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:28am
post #18 of 41

It looks great!! wonderful job! Today I set out to meet a customer 1/2 way to pick up her order. I sat and waited and waited...then I looked at the order sheet where I had written June 3rd in red, circled with a highlighter!!! LOL some days are better than others!! I hope I can remember to take it tomorrow!!

KHalstead Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 12:13pm
post #19 of 41

I just went for a tasting on Tuesday night and you know how you just get something in your head?? Well I had in my head what road she lived one (called E. Main Rd) which is the main thorouhfare in our town, and she's one town over so it must be the same road right?? WRONG!

I went to the address 1365 and knocked on the door...........knocked again, .............went to the back door,............knocked......................said OH GREAT.............knocked...........went to my van and called the girls cell (at least I had the number with me) there was no answer and my cell was going dead. Hurried and called my hubby because I had actually written down the DIRECTIONS the girl gave me...but decided i knew where it was and didn't take them with me!

Hubby is annoyed, phone is going dead, i tell him to call me back when he finds them because i may not be able to talk much longer. Then girl calls............i'm totally on the WRONG road!!!

i made it there............20 minutes LATE...but i made it!

i always view tasting/consultation apppointments like a job interview so it really was NOT GOOD in my eyes that I was 20 min. late for a job interview!
i wound up getting the job.....but still!

This is just gonna be one of those weeks!

I have 200 cookies (80 of which are baked so far) due on Saturday. The plan was to bake them on Tuesday, flood on Wed., monogram on Thursday, bag Thursday night...then focus on wedding cake on Friday.

So here it is Thursday and i'm still baking the daggone cookies!!!!!! So I have to bake and flood today! monogram tomorrow am and hopefully bag tomorrow night WHILE messing with a wedding cake!

Oh AND I have to BAKE the wedding cake today as well! All with 3 kids at home!

Gonna be a long weekend I think!

Sherry1030 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherry1030 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 12:30pm
post #20 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

Forgot I was boiling eggs once. Did you know....? That eggs will actually explode all over the ceiling if the water in the pan evaporates and they keep cooking in a dry pan? No, really! They will! icon_rolleyes.gificon_redface.gif

When I was a kid (like 9 or 10), my mom and 2 of her friends piled all of us into the station wagon (LONG before seat belt laws, so you literally COULD "pile 'em in" a station wagon!) and went to the city park. We had 6 kids; one friend had 6 kids; one friend had 3. 15 kids and 3 adults in one car and off we go! When we got home (we lived in the country .... about a 30 minute drive), my mom realized she was missing a kid! She high-tails it back to the city park and theres' my sister, just a swinging away! She had no idea we had left her there!

Lol Indydebi - I did the same thing a couple weeks ago! Forgot I was boiling eggs til I heard the 'popping' sound in the kitchen. All the water had evaporated and the eggs were exploding.. Thankfully I had the cover on the pan!! After that smell, it won't happen again!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 12:40pm
post #21 of 41

You can do it, if anyone can! I have been getting busier and busier, and forgetting a cake is my worst nightmare. I just went and bought a BIG dry erase board this week - calendar layout. Color code for each type of order (red is wedding, purple is BD, green is free anniversary, etc.) So far it looks like it will work out well......I hope so!

Good luck with the rest of the week!

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 12:43pm
post #22 of 41

I haven't forgotten an order...knock on wood, but I went to the wrong venue. icon_lol.gif It was at a golf and country club, and I had never been to this particular one. I guess I wasn't paying attention to the order come delivery day and just saw "Golf & Country Club" on the order. I showed up at the one we typically have deliveries, and there were a bunch of older men standing there staring at me like a had a third eye. Thank goodness I brought the order form with me and saw that it was at another club 30 minutes away. icon_cry.gif So hubby and I hightailed it there and just made it in time. Lesson learned to triple check the venue. icon_biggrin.gif

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:00pm
post #23 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I just went for a tasting on Tuesday night and you know how you just get something in your head?? Well I had in my head what road she lived one (called E. Main Rd) which is the main thorouhfare in our town, and she's one town over so it must be the same road right?? WRONG!

I went to the address 1365 and knocked on the door...........knocked again, .............went to the back door,............knocked......................said OH GREAT.............knocked...........went to my van and called the girls cell (at least I had the number with me) there was no answer and my cell was going dead. Hurried and called my hubby because I had actually written down the DIRECTIONS the girl gave me...but decided i knew where it was and didn't take them with me!

Hubby is annoyed, phone is going dead, i tell him to call me back when he finds them because i may not be able to talk much longer. Then girl calls............i'm totally on the WRONG road!!!

i made it there............20 minutes LATE...but i made it!

i always view tasting/consultation apppointments like a job interview so it really was NOT GOOD in my eyes that I was 20 min. late for a job interview!
i wound up getting the job.....but still!

This is just gonna be one of those weeks!

I have 200 cookies (80 of which are baked so far) due on Saturday. The plan was to bake them on Tuesday, flood on Wed., monogram on Thursday, bag Thursday night...then focus on wedding cake on Friday.

So here it is Thursday and i'm still baking the daggone cookies!!!!!! So I have to bake and flood today! monogram tomorrow am and hopefully bag tomorrow night WHILE messing with a wedding cake!

Oh AND I have to BAKE the wedding cake today as well! All with 3 kids at home!

Gonna be a long weekend I think!

Wow! I'm getting tired just reading what you have to do! Good Luck!

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:32pm
post #24 of 41
Quote:

I forgot my MIL twice, once at her house and once at walmart. icon_lol.gif and I forgot my husband, I thought he got in the backseat. my mil and niece were like.. he's not back here.. I thought they were pulling my leg. It was at night, and when i finally turned around to look a mile down the road.. HE wasnt there! I turned car around and he was sitting in the middle of the street shaking his head and laughing.

Khalsted.. YOU CAN DO IT!! GO girl GO! a little cheering for you. we need a pom-pom emoticon. icon_lol.gif

where did my other line go... okay here it is again. GREAT JOB ON THE CAKE !!!

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 2:03pm
post #25 of 41
Quote:

LOLOL icon_lol.gif

KHalstead Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 2:03pm
post #26 of 41

Oh , it just keeps getting BETTER. So these 200 cookies need labels right??? So I pull out my labels......guess how many sheets of 30 I need?? At least 7 right? 7x30 is 210 and I need 200.....guess how many sheets I have??? 6!!!!! Ok, so I have to go out and get another pack, no biggie, don't really have time, but ok................sit down to print.............low and behold.................INK IS LOW!!!

OH when will this week end?????????????????????????????????//

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 2:15pm
post #27 of 41

Yes, KHalstead, I'm a great fan of yours and believe you can do anything you put your mind to! You've helped me more than you can imagine since I've been a member of CC. I'm just starting out professionally, and my orders are so few and far between that they're all still a BIG DEAL, but when I start getting more orders, it's something I'm going to have to be careful of, so I'm taking this thread as a heads up. I'm just retiring from my job as a university professor, and God knows I forgot an important date or two in that life - and, of course, I'm not getting any younger!!! Say hello to my new best friend Al (Zheimer)!

VNatividad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VNatividad Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 2:45pm
post #28 of 41

Have patience, slow your thinking down, one task at a time. That's what I tell myself when I have so much to do that it seems impossible! Your work is great, have faith and confidence that you'll get it done in time! Good luck.

ArtieTs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ArtieTs Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 3:21pm
post #29 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

HAHAHAHA! yes Indydebi I know allso well that eggs will explode everywhere. I just successfully performed that experiment about a month ago. I'm still finding egg splatter in my kitchen. It's a wonder I haven't burned the house down as much as I forget things baking & boiling but thanks goodness I've never forgotten about a cake, imagine that? I bake a mean cake but I'm also the queen for burned toast. I honestly burn about a whole loaf of bread a month. I can't understand it.

KHalstead Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 5:30pm
post #30 of 41

next week won't be much better, I'll be starting on Monday to get everything done for Fri and Saturday orders next week (no more procrastinating and waiting until TUESDAY to start stuff lol)

I have 12 dozen cookies and 8 sheet cakes going for Fri. and Sat. next week!

why oh why do I do this?? Oh yeah, I'm running a business!!

Doesn't help any that it's like 95 degrees here and I have no ac either!

Thanks for the votes of confidence though!!! I know I"ll get through it, but why does it have to be so rough????????????????/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%