How Do I Make Roses Out Of A Softer Buttercream?

Decorating By kelsiedelizzle Updated 4 Jun 2010 , 12:13am by LindaF144a

kelsiedelizzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelsiedelizzle Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 3:17pm
post #1 of 10

I tried to find the answer, but can't find anything clear-cut yet.

I know the best method for rose-making (well, for me, at least) is to use a firm icing that hasn't been thinned down.

But what about when I use a softer consistency? Is there some trick that I don't know? Or should I just practice more? My roses look droopy and kinda sad, but I've seen people make some gorgeous soft-icing roses before.

Help?

Thanks!
Kelsie

9 replies
KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 10

I'm no expert, but I think you'll need to add sugar to make it more firm.

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 4:53pm
post #3 of 10

You have to stiffen your icing with PS. A helpful hint when making BC roses......use Hershey Kisses as your center!!! It works AMAZINGLY.

HTH..

Michael

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 5:15pm
post #4 of 10

Agree. You need stiffer icing. Period.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:04am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by caketeen09

I know the best method for rose-making (well, for me, at least) is to use a firm icing that hasn't been thinned down.

I'd continue doing what works best for you (and the rest of us) by using your firm icing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caketeen09

But what about when I use a softer consistency? Is there some trick that I don't know? Or should I just practice more? My roses look droopy and kinda sad, but I've seen people make some gorgeous soft-icing roses before.

Sounds like you'd like to use softer icing that's not as stiff, but in reality they won't look as nice if they droop, so... there isn't a trick, and more practice won't help, but more powdered sugar will! Were you trying to avoid making some stiff icing for roses while using a more medium consistency on the rest of your cake? (I hope I understood your question correctly.)

kelsiedelizzle Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:41am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited

Sounds like you'd like to use softer icing that's not as stiff, but in reality they won't look as nice if they droop, so... there isn't a trick, and more practice won't help, but more powdered sugar will! Were you trying to avoid making some stiff icing for roses while using a more medium consistency on the rest of your cake? (I hope I understood your question correctly.)

I did understand the question! It's just that some recipes that I've used for icing taste better but don't make good roses...so I guess I'll try adding more sugar to the recipe.

Plus in the summer, the icing has a tendency to melt, but that's a different matter entirely icon_razz.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:54am
post #7 of 10

I dunno, I make roses with softer icing. (Sorry Indy...haha)

I think one key is to make sure you are anchoring the center and every petal...make sure when you make the center, you pull the icing back down the center support...then each petal, start kind of low and then go up, so its sticking well to the support and able to stand up rather than droop down. Its so hard to explain... icon_redface.gif

kelsiedelizzle Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 3:08am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I dunno, I make roses with softer icing. (Sorry Indy...haha)

I think one key is to make sure you are anchoring the center and every petal...make sure when you make the center, you pull the icing back down the center support...then each petal, start kind of low and then go up, so its sticking well to the support and able to stand up rather than droop down. Its so hard to explain... icon_redface.gif

Kitagrl, I kinda know what you're saying, so I think your explanation works icon_smile.gif I know that sometimes my roses fall over when I'm in the middle of making them so "anchoring" like you said could work. I just need to be more patient... icon_biggrin.gif

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 4:29am
post #9 of 10

i too use one icing to ice my cake, decorate and for roses. I make mine on a stick, you have to spin fast and pipe fast sometimes they start to slide down but when you use your scissors to lift them off they fall back into place.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 12:13am
post #10 of 10

I haven't tried this with a softer icing, but you may try a hershey kis in the base. I tried this with Wilton icing and it worked well til I had enough practice making a base.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%