Icing Hexagon Tiers- What's Your Trick????

Decorating By obabassa Updated 2 Jun 2010 , 2:56am by obabassa

obabassa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
obabassa Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 9:44pm
post #1 of 11

Please help!!
Is there a good trick/ tool/ technique to icing a hexagon tier
and keeping the sides even and sharp edges???
Have a wedding cake to do and the bride wants hexagon tiers in buttercream. Is there an easy way?
Thanks in advance.

10 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 9:46pm
post #2 of 11

I actually did my very first EVER hexagon cake just a few weeks before I closed the shop. I had no idea they were so EASY!!!! If I had known that, I would have pushed that shape way more!!

I find square cakes easy to ice, but the hexagon is even easier. Just one side at a time.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 10:27pm
post #3 of 11

I agree, I did my first one a couple of weeks ago, and it was not a problem at all. (I just was real glad to read about how easy indy thought it was before I had to do it!)

obabassa Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 10:34pm
post #4 of 11

Would you icing the sides first to make it easier to see where each corner is and to make sure the icing on the sides are the same thickness?
Then icing the top when the sides are done?

indydebi Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 10:39pm
post #5 of 11

I always ice the sides of my cakes first anyway. Regardless of shape.

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 10:52pm
post #6 of 11

I always smooth the top first, then do the side, wait a few minutes, smooth the sides with viva and a fondant smoother, then measure to make sure the cake is level all around (I mark with a seam guage), then level off with small spatula dipped in hot water ala Sugarshack's method. A bench scraper is a huge help on the hex shape (as well as all shapes!) I just uploaded a hexagon 4 tier if you want to check it out!

obabassa Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 12:45am
post #7 of 11

Thanks for all the tips!!!
A friend suggested this:
Cutting out a plastic cake board templet 1in to 1 1/2 in larger than the cake, Center it on the cake and use it as a guide for icing the cake.
What are your thoughts on this???

indydebi Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 2:00am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by obabassa

Thanks for all the tips!!!
A friend suggested this:
Cutting out a plastic cake board templet 1in to 1 1/2 in larger than the cake, Center it on the cake and use it as a guide for icing the cake.
What are your thoughts on this???

I think you're making it harder than it really is. You've iced square cakes and I saw a hexagon cake in your pics. I don't know what you're worried about.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 2:04am
post #9 of 11

I love a 6" scraper/putty knife...helps TONS. I think hex's are easier than squares, too....

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 2:39am
post #10 of 11

Just like a square, but more sides. Work away from the corners. Also, I have taken to using the upside down method for squares and hexagons.... soooo easy.

obabassa Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 2:56am
post #11 of 11

Thanks for the reassurance Indydebi. I always tend to over stress on wedding cakes because I remember the diaster that mine was. I would hate for any bride to walk in and see their cake and feel the way I felt about mine.
Gun shy I guess.
Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%