Randomly Wrapped Ribbon Cake

Decorating By Mencked Updated 6 Jun 2010 , 3:06pm by Mencked

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 5:19pm
post #1 of 16

I'm making a wedding cake that has randomly wrapped satin 1/4" ribbon around all 3 tiers. I have no idea how to attach it to the BC cake--any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

15 replies
Mencked Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 5:28pm
post #2 of 16

There are 2 pictures of cakes like this up on the photos for today, but both are on fondant. I haave no idea how to do this look on BC.
LL

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 5:31pm
post #3 of 16

A little dot of RI would work. Thats all I use.

Mencked Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 10:42pm
post #4 of 16

Jayde, would RI work on BC too?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 11:11pm
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mencked

Jayde, would RI work on BC too?

Plain 'ole BC will work ... just like when attaching ribbon to the base of the cake.

Mencked Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 11:18pm
post #6 of 16

And hopefully it will stay in place as I randomly wrap away without creasing the BC in any way icon_smile.gif! I hate it when I wake myself up at night worrying about how something is going to work (or not work) and I'm doing that to myself on this cake!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 11:37pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mencked

And hopefully it will stay in place as I randomly wrap away without creasing the BC in any way icon_smile.gif! I hate it when I wake myself up at night worrying about how something is going to work (or not work) and I'm doing that to myself on this cake!!

It *IS* difficult ... here's one that I did: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1454112 .

The up-and-down ribbons are actually held in place by the black ribbon around the base of the cake. Holy moly, I had no idea how hard it was going to be to hold those ribbons in place while wrapping the base ribbon and not get fingerprints all over the cake. Oh well .... 2 outta 3 ain't bad! icon_redface.gificon_biggrin.gif

Jayde Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 12:14am
post #8 of 16

I have not done one like that before, but I can imagine that RI or BC would work just fine. I also would not randomly wrap around and around the cake. Wrap one time around and secure with your RI or BC. Then cut another length, even if it is the same width ribbon and go around again securing with another dot. I can imagine that taking the ribbon and wrapping around several times would eventually end up with creases no matter how hard you try not to.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 1:17am
post #9 of 16

Ri and butter cream don't mix, it makes the ri soft

sewsweet2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsweet2 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 1:21am
post #10 of 16

Use a dot of corn syrup (apply with a brush) to attach the ribbon. The corn syrup will not absorb and change the color of the ribbon.

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 1:46am
post #11 of 16

You could try refrigerating or quick-freezing the cake just long enough for the buttercream firm up before putting on the ribbons. That would help prevent fingerprints, etc.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 4:27am
post #12 of 16

Clear gel icing works well, too. A lot like corn syrup.

Mencked Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 12:12pm
post #13 of 16

Thanks everyone for all of your helpful suggestions! No more lost sleep on this one! (Hopefully)! DM

Jayde Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 6:20pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninatat

Ri and butter cream don't mix, it makes the ri soft

I have never had that problem. I do quite a bit of piping with RI on BC and it always hardens without any issues.

Mencked Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 5:20pm
post #15 of 16

I just wanted to update you guys that the BC icing dot worked perfectly!! I'm so sad I spent so much time worrying about attaching the ribbon. I did find that I could continuously wrap the ribbon and it worked better for me. I didn't attempt to get them to come together perfectly like in the picture--just random wraps. I let the icing crust overnight and then put the ribbon on with BC icing dots--so easy and simple! I'll post pics when it's all set up tomorrow. Once again, thanks for your help!

Mencked Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 3:06pm
post #16 of 16

Just attaching a picture (pre-flowers)--Can't wait to see what it looked like after flowers were added--light green spider mums was the plan. http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1699172&done=1

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%