A Question To The Uk Wedding Cake Decorators

Decorating By janeoxo Updated 1 Jun 2010 , 10:06pm by rainbow_kisses

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 7:23am
post #1 of 7

Just wondered how many of you do wedding fairs over here and if you think they are really worthwhile?

Would love to get your feedback on this.

Thanks

J x

6 replies
rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 4:24pm
post #2 of 7

I have done wedding fares for my real job at the time but not for wedding cakes. You would need to have some good samples and a fantastic portfolio for the couples to look at and also have plenty of hands to help as you could end up with an impatient que. wedding cakes are not really my thing so I can not help with personal experience, just what I obsereved from being at them as a party planner.

janeoxo Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 7:45pm
post #3 of 7

I was wondering if people actually got much work from them as I remember seeing an american posting on the same subject and a lot were saying they didn't really get much work from them. Just wondered if it's the same here or not.

rainbow_kisses Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 9:20pm
post #4 of 7

I think mose couples just use fayres here as a way to find the venue and get an idea of what is out there, I doubt many people really ever buy their cake from them unless you were offering something that was not the norm. and a fantastic deal.

Rosiepan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosiepan Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 9:40pm
post #5 of 7

I read on another cake site of someone recently spending 1,000 pounds on one and only got 1 order for cupcakes.I'm not an expert on these but from what I have read there isn't much returns on the initial layout and can be made worse if you are not the only cake decorator exhibiting.

janeoxo Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 10:01pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosiepan

I read on another cake site of someone recently spending 1,000 pounds on one and only got 1 order for cupcakes.I'm not an expert on these but from what I have read there isn't much returns on the initial layout and can be made worse if you are not the only cake decorator exhibiting.

£1,000 are they mad, what sort of fayre was that. I made an enquiry to a reasonable sized one and it was £95. I was also approached by a new venue starting up (didn't take it as felt it was too far away for me) but they were only charging £50.

rainbow_kisses Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 10:06pm
post #7 of 7

I could only imagine at that price it must of been at a big venue like the NEC or Earls court. £50- £100 sound about right for a stand at an average size fayre.

If you think you could offer something different maybe trying one will be the only way to guage whether they are worth it for you. Do you have some unusual flavours to offer? As I find most peopel just think of the standard chocolate, vanilla and fruit cakes when they think wedding in the UK. I have a whole list of special flavours and they are very popular with the people I make cakes for.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%