Please Help This Cake Dummy With Her Cake Dummy! :)

Decorating By mama_twinkie Updated 1 Jun 2010 , 4:15am by BlakesCakes

mama_twinkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama_twinkie Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 3:51am
post #1 of 3

I'm a recent graduate of the Wilton I class (which I took with the end goal of being able to make my daughter's first birthday cake) and have become an AVID reader of CC. icon_smile.gif As a result of the collective wonderful advice on here, I've learned that I only need one 2-layer 8 inch round to serve 20 people.

However, I'm so inspired by all the beautiful tiered cakes on here, that I would love to make a 2 tiered cake for my daughter. I don't want to "waste" cake, so I thought that maybe using a cake dummy for one of the layers would work. Yes?

If I do use a cake dummy, would I make it the top tier or the bottom tier? I would think putting it on the bottom would mean that I don't need a cake board for the top tier...is that right (since, in my thinking, the "dummy" would act as the cake board)? If I put the dummy on the top tier, is that heavy enough that I need a cakeboard under it?

Lastly, is it just sheer madness to attempt a 2 tier cake at this stage? I have about 4 weeks in order to practice getting it right.

Thanks so much for all the advice!

2 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 4:03am
post #2 of 3

make a 6/8 tiered cake. It's not that much wasted cake at all.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 4:15am
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

make a 6/8 tiered cake. It's not that much wasted cake at all.

Yeah, what Deb said................

I use the Wilton party servings chart and that's 32 servings. It'll be good starting experience for a real stacked cake. Heck, cake gets eaten or frozen--either way is fine.

If you decide to go the other route, I'd suggest putting the dummy on the bottom (10"+8"). You should still put the 8 inch on it's own cake board--you should put every tier on it's own cake board, any time you make a cake.

You don't need any dowels with a dummy on the bottom. You can decorate each separately and then just sit the smaller one on top.

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%