Flowers

Baking By sec10 Updated 1 Jun 2010 , 7:15am by Evoir

sec10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sec10 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 2:12am
post #1 of 3

Hello everyone,
I am very new on here so please forgive me if I am asking a question that has been asked many times already before but....I would liek to make some flowers to put on top of a 12" round chocoalte cake. I am comfortable with the basket weave but would like to put some flowers on top. I have tried to make roses and failed miserably, my icing was either too runny or too hard. Any recomendations on a good icing recipe for flowers? Also is it best I make them ahead and put them on top or put them right on the cake?

As you can see I have not taken a course yet so maybe if I did that would help eh? But I am making a cake this week so thought I would try it out.

Thanks so much!
Seannie

2 replies
Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 6:43am
post #2 of 3

Just use stiff buttercream (keep adding more powdered sugar if they won't hold their shape).

If you make them ahead of time and let them air dry, you'll be able to pick them up and place them where you want on the cake (including the sides) instead of having to leave them where they fall!

Good luck!

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 7:15am
post #3 of 3

If you'd like to try something a bit different and perhaps simpler, maybe do some cut-out flowers made out of fondant? You can add colouring to get the desired shade(s) too. There are many cheap flower cutters out there, or you can handmake flowers too.

If you need more instruction on piped flowers though, there are some great videos on YouTube of piping roses tutorials. Good luck with it! The more you do the easier it gets, but it really helps using buttercream instead of RI.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%