Cake Delivery Sign Off

Business By KTB4 Updated 1 Jun 2010 , 5:36pm by KHalstead

KTB4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTB4 Posted 31 May 2010 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 14

I noticed that a lot of you mention having people sign off on the cakes that you deliver to venues. Does anyone have a sample of the form they use that they'd be willing to share? Thanks.

13 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 May 2010 , 9:32pm
post #2 of 14

If you're going to get someone to sign off, be sure your contract clearly states what is being signed off on.

I've read that some CC'ers get "someone at the venue" or the caterer to sign off. As a caterer, I would refuse to sign anything. Absolutely refuse. I don't knwo what was order, what it's suppose to look like or even if it's the right cake. I'm not signing anything that puts me liabile for a bride's cake. I'm not signing anything that enables the baker to say, "Well, Debi signed off so talk to her ... it's not my problem, you guys duke it out."

On my D&R's (Drop and Runs), I never had anyone sign off. I set up the cake, took my pic, and left.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 31 May 2010 , 10:05pm
post #3 of 14

I used to do this for about a year- it clearly stated that liability is NOT being transferred to the venue, just saying that the cake was intact upon delivery and set up in the right location. However, I had a venue coordinator/manager throw a tee-total fit at me about it that he wasn't signing anything that he didn't dictate the wording to, so I did let it go and no longer offer this. I always thought it was a good way of doing things, since then at least the venue sees the cake in good condition, but I can see why a venue wouldn't want to accept any responsibility for a cake.
I've never had any issues with my cakes (so far....), so I guess this was overkill anyway.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 31 May 2010 , 10:13pm
post #4 of 14

I have never had anyone sign off on the cakes either. There is rarely anyone there that knows anything about the cake to sign for it. I set it, take pics, and leave.

KTB4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTB4 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 12:15am
post #5 of 14

Hmm okay. Good to know icon_smile.gif I appreciate the advice.

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 1:18am
post #6 of 14

I'm so glad you asked this question. I'm just starting to do wedding cakes and I took a release form and had the coordinator at the venue sign it and she said she'd never had to do this in 14 years of doing weddings. I thought it was something you did, but when I see the reasons explained above, I can see why a caterer or venue wouldn't want to sign off on such a thing. I always take a photo. You think that's enough?

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 1:29am
post #7 of 14

I state in my contract that someone responsible has to be there to sign for the cake. Nobody's pitched a fit or even questioned it as yet.

Cenell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cenell Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 1:36am
post #8 of 14

I take photos of the cake in all angles @ the venue, so the picture shows the venue and the cake at the same time. That is proof just in case happen what happened to me long time ago with a customer who said that the cake was cracked and I sent her the picture and she was so ashamed because she wasn't at the place at the moment of the delivery and somebody cracked the fondant. So in resume take pictures, pictures pictures. Lol.

Katiebelle74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiebelle74 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 3:13am
post #9 of 14

No this is not something for the venue or the caterer not at all. The customer or someone representing them needs to sign off.... i.e. I always pre-arrange with the bride for someone she trusts to sign off.... sister, mom, maid of honor....wedding coordinator (no not an event coordinator at the venue a wedding coordinator who is employed by the bride to oversee her wedding) or whoever the bride is comfortable with.

very simple form to the tune of

________your business name_________ delivered the cake as ordered, on time and in good condition.

that way if they move the darn cake after I leave and screw it up I have pictures I took and this form.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 12:49pm
post #10 of 14

I also take pictures but don't make anyone sign. I wouldn't sign for somethng if I hadn't ordered it, how would you know if the thing you were signing for was right? In my contract I have that I'll take pictures as proof of delivery.

I've had several situations where there was NOBODY anywhere at the venue when I arrived, so I take lots of pictures showing where the cake was placed, but a signature would have been impossbile in those situations.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 1:44pm
post #11 of 14

I always have someone sign (I'll attach a copy of my form, it's basic to say the least).........the bride knows that ahead of time she has to designate someone to sign (I write their name and cell phone number on the bottom of the paper at the consultation so I have the info on hand at delivery). The bride is told that this person is to be briefed on the overall design, I also bring the inspiration photo or a sketch of what the cake is "supposed" to look like (the bride's signature is on the sketch as well to show that she ok'd that particular design).

I will wait up to 5 minutes after set up of cake is complete, if the person who is supposed to sign is not there and cannot be reached, they forfeit the right to complain about the cake design, colors, or overall appearance and they know this AT the consultation!!

I've never had an issue with someone not being available to sign for a cake yet!

I let them know that when they sign it, it's for their protection (make sure they got the right cake and that it's not crooked, leaning, or falling apart) and for my protection( let's me know my job is done and they are satisfied with the cakes appearance) most brides have no problem coming up with someone that will be available to sign for it!

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 2:13pm
post #12 of 14

I don't have anyone sign because everything is already in the contract the bride signed. In many cases, the wedding and reception are at two different locations. There usually isn't a family member or someone from the bridal party available at the reception venue to sign off on the cake. I live in a big city so I don't think it is appropriate to have someone at the venue to sign off on the cake. That person then has to rush to the church, possibly 30 minutes away, for the wedding. I usually have several deliveries and don't have time to wait for someone to sign off on the cake or waste my time trying to find the designee. I don't think signing a form at the venue is going to deter someone from complaining anymore than signing the contract. If they are the type of person to complain, they're going to do so whether they sign a release form or not.

Katiebelle74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiebelle74 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 3:20pm
post #13 of 14

I didn't used to have anyone sign but when I took the advanced wedding cake design class with Colette Peters she suggested that everyone should do this, so I adopted the policy based of her advice. There have been a few times when no one was there and I did not stress about it, but there are certain venues around here that are worse than others about moving the cake after it has been set up or doing stupid stuff and I definitely make a point to get it signed by a wedding coordinator or someone at those events.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 5:36pm
post #14 of 14

generally the person that signs for the cake is not an immediate family member of the bride, more often than not it's one of the wedding planners (yes ONE of them), or it's someone that's on staff at the reception site. The bride knows months in advance that someone will have to sign off on the cake and my contract states that "in the even the bride(person signing the contract) is unavailable to sign for the cake it is their responsibility to assign someone to sign in their place"

I wouldn't stress if there was NOBODY to sign, but so far this has worked and I've never had a problem getting a signature!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%