Topsy Turvy - Wedge Method With Mixed Shapes?

Decorating By chilz822 Updated 7 Jun 2010 , 2:15am by chilz822

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 31 May 2010 , 5:38am
post #1 of 7

Hello all,
I've been asked to do a topsy turvy but the person wants the tiers in different shapes (square, round, square or Round, square, round). I've done one before using the cutout method, but I thinking this one may call for the styro wedges instead.

I found some excellent threads here outlining the method and I think I can do it, My question is...
am I going to have a problem using alternating shaped tiers? I need to feed 50-60 people, and I'm thinking I might like the look of square, round, square best.

Any tips, ideas, thoughts, or fears on this?

6 replies
tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 31 May 2010 , 7:47am
post #2 of 7

you are very very brave. I suggest checking the art gallery to see who has made one before and PM them begging for help. icon_lol.gif

chilz822 Posted 31 May 2010 , 1:42pm
post #3 of 7

Brave?

chilz822 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 2:32am
post #4 of 7

anyone have any thoights on this?

rikkijo314 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rikkijo314 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 5:23am
post #5 of 7

I used the wedge method with alternating shapes, but the majority of mine was done in styrofoam. The bottom was real though and it was a ton of cake. Anyways I think that even if you do it all real as long as you have some strong circles under each layer it should work. I drilled a hole through the center of every cake (we had to figure out the exact angle each would sit at first) and I used a large dowel rod up the middle that was screwed onto the base. I don't know if that helps but you can look at my cake in my photos, it is the one with all of the roses.

Frotusbush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frotusbush Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 5:47pm
post #6 of 7

I would put an actual board or at least two very precisely cut pieces of cardboard underneath the top square since it`s corners would be hanging out in space. As long as you are using wedges and dowels for support underneath the rest of the cake you should be just fine.
Are you using fondant? If so just wrap the fondant all the way under the board/cardboards so that it looks like part of the cake. Just remember to tell whoever is cutting the cake about it.

chilz822 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 2:15am
post #7 of 7

Thank you all for your help. wish me luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%