Ganache Under Fondant = Sturdy

Decorating By mommyto4 Updated 1 Jun 2010 , 3:58pm by Marianna46

mommyto4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyto4 Posted 31 May 2010 , 3:54am
post #1 of 10

I made my first topsy turvy cake last weekend for a grooms cake. I followed sugarshack's directions on her video. I was just told by the bride's mother just how sturdy the cake is with the ganache under the fondant. It turns out the top tier (of 2) was the only one actually eaten at the wedding and they were saving the bottom tier for the groom to enjoy after the honeymoon. Somehow it got dropped upside down and they were able to pick the cake up and other than a little cake coming out the top hole where the top tier sat, it wasn't damaged at all!

Just a short testimony for one of the advantages to putting the ganache coating between the cake and the fondant instead of buttercream.

Thanks Sharon!!!!! You rock!!!!! Thanks for doing all the research on this Australian method for all of us who are now benefitting.

9 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 31 May 2010 , 4:05am
post #2 of 10

Well, I always knew it was sturdier than buttercream, but I never dreamed it would hold up to anything like this!!! LOL!

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 31 May 2010 , 4:06am
post #3 of 10

thumbs_up.gif not only does it taste great - but survived the drop.
excellant.

Bluehue.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 31 May 2010 , 4:44am
post #4 of 10

ha! great to know that!!

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 31 May 2010 , 5:21am
post #5 of 10

I converted a few cakes ago and LOVE the difference...I just wish wht choc ganache was as sturdy as reg...mine's a bit more soft

Bfisher2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bfisher2 Posted 31 May 2010 , 5:21am
post #6 of 10

icon_lol.gif well.... theres a true dat statement.... loooooove the ganache... thumbs_up.gif

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 31 May 2010 , 8:11am
post #7 of 10

Can someone tell me where to find the video for using ganache under fondant? TIA

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 31 May 2010 , 3:59pm
post #8 of 10

sugaredproductions.com I believe is Sharon's site. Excellent videos, well worth the price- and that's coming from someone who is cheap. LOL

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 6:59am
post #9 of 10

I will be making my cousins wedding cake on the 12th. She wanted chocolate cake with a vanilla mousse, chocolate frosting with chocolate fondant. I have been reading the posts about ganache under the fondant. If I substituted ganache instead of the chocolate butter cream would it be to sweet? They don't like fondant but for the bottom tier it has to look like a log so they have no choice. I just don't want to kill them in sweetness. LOL.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 3:58pm
post #10 of 10

If you make the ganache with dark chocolate, it won't be too sweet. I don't find it any sweeter than buttercream, but divinely delicious!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%