Don't Pick Up Hot Mmf!

Decorating By jdogga Updated 19 Sep 2005 , 3:28am by Moviechick00

jdogga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdogga Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 12:41am
post #1 of 25

just wanted to tell eveyone not to pick up fondant that you put in the microwave to soften! i just did and i have 3rd degree burns on 2 fingers! they bubbled instantly and boy did it hurt!!!

24 replies
Lemondrop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemondrop Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 12:45am
post #2 of 25

OMG.....I'm so sorry to hear that...{{{Hugs}}}

nanni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanni Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 12:49am
post #3 of 25

Man that sugar crystalizes in the microwave-I bet you are hurting-bless your heart-sorry to hear that-hope you get better soon!

Moviechick00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moviechick00 Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 1:03am
post #4 of 25

Ouch sorry to hear that you burned your fingers. I have learned what is called an old wives tale. Any time you burn yourself you should immediately put plain ol yellow mustard. It will keep from blistering and scaring. I used to manage a movie theatre back home I would often burn myself with a huge popcorn kettle. So trust me it works. MC

nanni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanni Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 1:09am
post #5 of 25

Moviechick that's a new one on me but that is something just about everyone has in the house-thanks for the hint!

Moviechick00 Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 1:14am
post #6 of 25

Your Very Welcomed. I hope no one has to use this method but at least its there for all. Kids allow you to put mustard on them instead of "Medicine" they will sit there and stare at it saying wow this is cool. Have a good evening. MC

jdogga Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 1:26am
post #7 of 25

i can't even take my fingers out of the ice water long enuf to put anything on it! wow this is painful!!

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 4:41am
post #8 of 25

Jdogga,

You learned the hard way just like I did! I think I made a post about the same thing about 2 months ago. I took the MMF out of the microwave.. let it cool some... then put it in my hand to start kneeding it.. my fingers went into the center of it & boy did I get burned!!

That's some hot stuff!! The outside is always cool but the inside is still HOT!!! So be careful everyone! I hope it doesn't happen to you!

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 4:47am
post #9 of 25

Oh my goodness! How long did you micro it to soften? I'll watch out for that next time I do it! I hope your fingers heal quickly.

I wish I knew about the mustard thing when I burned my hand a month ago on a hot jelly roll pan. I now have a inch long scar on the back of my hand between my thumb and index finger.

Amy

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 4:47am
post #10 of 25

Jdogga, I am so sorry to know that you burned yourself! I have always found it easier to pour the melted stuff into my well of sugar and start off kneading it with a spoon sprayed with Pam. That way, I get the mixture going without having to touch it. I touch the spoon every so often to try to gauge whether or not the mix is cool enough to handle by hand. And I also do the mustard thing. I thought that I was just wierd that way-and my own family, too, for telling me about it.
Tanya

cake4you Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake4you Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 1:04pm
post #11 of 25

Awww.. Judith, hope your fingers get better soon......!!!!!

Karey

fytar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fytar Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 1:18pm
post #12 of 25

Ouch, I hate you have to suffer through that! I too wish I had heard about the mustard thingy!! I burned myself with a curling iron about three months ago. It was a 1 1/2" barrel and where the clamp or arm that holds your hair meets the barrel, there is a slight lip or ledge and this is the part that got me. Now I have a scar that looks like a set of lips (haha, hot lips) on the inner arm just above my wrist - you know, the soft tender part of the arm.

I know what you mean about the MMF as well. The first time I tried it I singed my fingers a bit - I was re-heating it to soften it up a bit. I did let it sit for a moment before I dug into it but it was still very hot in the center, still in liquid form almost. Thankfully it wasn't as bad as your situation.

jdogga Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 1:23pm
post #13 of 25

I was too late with the mustard thing but I left it in water ALL night and it feels better today! Thanks for all the well wishes!!
The MMF wasn't in for long and it looked like it was still a hard ball and when I grabbed it it was complete mush and really hot! it was only in for about 15 sec, but it was a small ball!

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 1:48pm
post #14 of 25

Sorry for your pain, but thank you for sharing. I have put my hands on the mmf after the 15sec warm up. I will be more careful now.

PolishMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PolishMommy Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 2:01pm
post #15 of 25

Sorry about your burn! I haven't tried MMF yet but I'll definately keep this in mind.

Maybe someone should put a "caution" note about this on the MMF instructions on this website?

tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 2:04pm
post #16 of 25

Poor jdogga! You better see a doctor if they bubbled so fast, you probably need a prescription if your skin is open! I would hold the mustard on this one!

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 3:07pm
post #17 of 25

Sorry to hear of your burns, hope you are better.

Thanks alot for the tip.

Plenty of hugs to make you feel better.

Daniela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniela Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 6:23pm
post #18 of 25

OMG I hope you're going to be okay. I'm sorry you learned the hard way!!! Thanks for letting us know. I will keep that in mind when I use MMF.

Daniela

jdogga Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 7:41pm
post #19 of 25

I went to the doctor and she said to keep it covered with guaze and polysporin...it feels much better but still stings once and a while!

Moviechick00 Posted 1 Sep 2005 , 1:20am
post #20 of 25

Im glad to hear that your finger is feeling just a little bit better. The very first time that I used the mustard thing was many many years ago. I was riding a motorcyle and when I got off of the dang thing the muffler burned my calf. I didnt know any better but before I realized my best friends mom was pouring mustard on it. It was yuckyyyyy but it didnt blister at all. I was 16 at the time and now am 32 scar? Nope none. Ever? Never a scar you can not even tell that I was burned. Most docs would say your crazy for doing this mustard thing but so did most of my employees at the theatre now they do it at home when it happens. One quick question about MMF how long does it keep? I made some on Friday evening and have not used it. TIA MC

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 1 Sep 2005 , 1:39am
post #21 of 25

I used the mustard trick on my daughter in school a few months ago... she got a bean burrito for lunch and opened it fgast enough for the burrito to burst open, covering her hands with hot beans... she began to scream and I got up and ran to the serving line yelling for mustard. The lunch lady looked at me and said they don't serve mustard with burritos and I told her that if she didnh't want the school to end up like McDonalds then she'd better get me some.... she gave me a big pan of packets and I ran back to my daughter tearing package after package together, making her rub her hands together while I kept pouring mustard on them. After 10 minutes the pain had subsided enough to where my baby wanted to wash her hands and all was well. The lunch lady was shocked that mustard could take away the pain so quickly. Infact, now she keeps a BIG gallon sized jug for burns only.

Also, vitamin E oil is great for burns as well. I worked at a place where we hot stamped things for customers and when we burnt ourselves we would get a caplet, stick it with a pin, and swqueee the oil on the burn. You can feel the burn being drawn out, but I haven't got any scars from that either.

Debbi

jdogga Posted 1 Sep 2005 , 2:22am
post #22 of 25

great tips everyone!!
Moviechick00...I'm not sure how long you can keep MMF for? I usually make it the Monday of the week I need it for and so on...I have never had it more than a few days! Let me know if you find out though!

Moviechick00 Posted 18 Sep 2005 , 11:35pm
post #23 of 25

Even after reading this post on ouch burn darn that MMF. I did the same thing with out thinking. I burned my thumb but not tooo bad. I have a small welt and its still sore today this happened on Thursday night. I also found out that as long as you keep MMF covered it will last a good while. The MMF fondant that I used for my last minute cake was made on August 26th and it held out well the cake was a smash everyone loved it. The picture is posted on "talk about last minute" and also on the wedding cake section. It will last a good while as long as it is cover well. MC

Rainbow_Moon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rainbow_Moon Posted 19 Sep 2005 , 1:30am
post #24 of 25

oooh, i feel your pain. i burned myself with MMF 2 weeks ago and of course you're trying to fling it off but it's sticking to you....ahhh it feels like forever till it comes off! i have heard you are not supposed to use cold water at first with burns because then they blister - use hot water instead. well i tried that this time and i'm fine now. not sure if that is true but it worked for me, but i'm definitely trying mustard next time!

when i'm reheating MMF now i only do in 5 sec increments, and knead it in between, cause of this very problem!

Moviechick00 Posted 19 Sep 2005 , 3:28am
post #25 of 25

I started to reheat the fondant 10 seconds at a time that worked well. It still burns but not as bad as the first time. Oh well thats how we learn right. The mustard thing works great, used it again this weekend on a friend no blister no scare and took the pain away. YAYAYAYA
MC

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%