Just Had A Cake Collapse!!

Decorating By mcataylor Updated 1 Jun 2010 , 6:48pm by CakeDiosa

mcataylor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcataylor Posted 29 May 2010 , 10:18pm
post #1 of 8

Delivered my first topsy turvey cake and it fell apart!! I have never had a cake fall apart every!! I am devastated!!! Not sure what happened. it was stable and great before I left the house. I used dowels and I think they may have shifted in the drive. ( I live in the foothills of the rockies and go down a few steep roads to get to the valley) The cake was pretty good looking on arrival but the middle layer shifted a little so I scooted it about a half inch over to one side and think that contributed. The bottom layer slip apart. Luckily I saved the middle and top layer with minimal damage and set it up so if you didn't see the disaster happen you would just think it was a smaller cake slightly damaged. I feel so horrible!!!
LL
LL
LL

7 replies
jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 29 May 2010 , 10:40pm
post #2 of 8

Did you use the tutorial on here for making the cake? I have never mad a TT cake but I do know that they actually sit level on each other, not at an angle. I really don't know what to tell you other than I'm sorry that happened.

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 29 May 2010 , 11:03pm
post #3 of 8

I'm so sorry this happened to you! I haven't had a cake collapse on me yet but I know its going to happen eventually. Take comfort in the fact that it really does seem to happen to everyone! Way to pull it back together. Good for you!

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 29 May 2010 , 11:10pm
post #4 of 8

I feel your pain. My R2D2 cake fell over in my car and had a nice size hole in the back. Luckily it was for a friend so she wasn't upset at all. However, I felt horrible.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 29 May 2010 , 11:17pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiekwebb

Did you use the tutorial on here for making the cake? I have never mad a TT cake but I do know that they actually sit level on each other, not at an angle. I really don't know what to tell you other than I'm sorry that happened.

You can stack them at an angle, just has to be a gentle angle and has to be supported well. I prefer to do them that way, rather than anything cut out.

mcataylor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcataylor Posted 30 May 2010 , 12:28am
post #6 of 8

I used the tutorial and cut out the holes so they were sitting flat. i just don't know what happened but it was horrible!! thanks for the support!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 1:08pm
post #7 of 8

I bet one of your dowels shifted, try using sps inside of them (the legs lock into the plate) it would be impossible for a dowel to shift without the whole plate shifting!

CakeDiosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiosa Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 6:48pm
post #8 of 8

In your "before" picture your tiers look bulgy like they may be supporting too much weight rather than the dowels supporting all of the weight. Especially that bottom tier. Unless that is how it looked before you starting stacking them then the odds are you cut your dowels too short and the cake got smashed down. This would contribute to your problem. Also, if you didn't use a center dowel if you transported them stacked. Your angles are pretty extreme to survive transporting while stacked.

It really looks like your dowels may have been been the problem though. Use an empty cake pan with a leveler on top to make sure your dowels are high enough to clear the bottom tier and to ensure they are even.

hth! good luck next time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%