Charge For Labour

Decorating By jayne1873 Updated 1 Jun 2010 , 5:17pm by WendyB

jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 29 May 2010 , 5:31pm
post #1 of 4

I am trying to work out my costs to see how much profit (if any) I am making on my cakes.
I have done a spreadsheet to work out cost of ingredients etc including boards, boxes, dowels etc etc but now I want to work out how much time it takes me to make the cakes and how much I would charge per hour ie if I were a shop how much would they charge for an hour of the employees time modelling a figure etc.
What do you guys charge or pay yourself those who are in business.

thanks x

3 replies
robyndmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyndmy Posted 29 May 2010 , 5:45pm
post #2 of 4

Oo, I'm also curious to know!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 29 May 2010 , 6:31pm
post #3 of 4

also remember, it's not just their hourly rate. As a business you have other expenses per employee. Possibly insurance if you offer it, then there are taxes too....

As for the rate the employee would get paid, a lot less than me most likely, unless i can find someone that has the same experience or more than me. Also how much you pay someone is REALLY going to depend on where you're located. I see that you are in the UK, i don't know anything about pay per hour outside of the US. Is there a minimum wage? Do you know what other bakeries pay per hour?

WendyB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyB Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 5:17pm
post #4 of 4

It's mostly a question of what your time is worth to you. Are you willing to work for $10 per hour, $15, $20?

Would you rather be doing something else with your time if you knew you were only making $2 per hour for your cake work?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%