Red Velvet Cake

Decorating By teddy0826 Updated 30 May 2010 , 1:29am by leily

teddy0826 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teddy0826 Posted 29 May 2010 , 3:45am
post #1 of 9

do you think it would be a bad idea to make a red velvet cake and use cream cheese frosting for the inside and use butter cream frosting on the outside?

8 replies
DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 29 May 2010 , 7:52pm
post #2 of 9

No sounds good. Stiffen or stabilize the cream cheese frosting with meringue powder, so the layers don't slide apart. I just did a red velvet w/cream cheese frosting for a graduation dinner today

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 29 May 2010 , 11:19pm
post #3 of 9

Sounds good to me. I just add extra powdered sugar to stiffen up the cream cheese icing sufficiently.

LuvLyrics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvLyrics Posted 29 May 2010 , 11:53pm
post #4 of 9

ok you are talking about ABC for out side ?? I am not sure, I've never tried it, I think if this is the time doing it, don't do it for a customer, you may want to do a trial cake and have others taste too... good luck, let us know what you decide.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 30 May 2010 , 12:33am
post #5 of 9

if the customer wants cream cheese icing on the red velvet (i typically only offer the cooked frosting - i don't do buttercream on red velvet) i use the crusting cream cheese icing that is in the recipe section here on CC. It taste good, and still has the stiffer consistency of buttercream, plus it crust so I can use all of my normal smoothing methods on it.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 30 May 2010 , 1:27am
post #7 of 9

I've done red velvet cake several times with cream cheese icing as a filling and SMBC as the frosting. Works great!

bates123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bates123 Posted 30 May 2010 , 1:28am
post #8 of 9

Someone (can't remember who) on CC recommended adding a can of cream cheese icing to my butter cream on a red velvet cake. I did and it crusted well. I covered it with fondant. Turned out great. Tasted great.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 30 May 2010 , 1:29am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliespartycake

I've done red velvet cake several times with cream cheese icing as a filling and SMBC as the frosting. Works great!

i should have clarified, my buttercream is a crusting american buttercream. I haven't found anyone yet that likes it since it's so sweet. I can see that smbc would be better since it's not so sweet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%