How Much Would You Charge

Decorating By andreamen1 Updated 27 May 2010 , 9:13pm by Minstrelmiss

andreamen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andreamen1 Posted 27 May 2010 , 5:51pm
post #1 of 13

so im gonna be making a wedding cake 3 tier 8-10-12 for 100 ppl and it an all white fondant with satin ribbon as a border and im chargiing $185 it's my first wedding cake and i guess the ppl are kinda cheapys cause when i said 185 they were like ok i want it my question is what would you charge for something like this and do u think i under chared.

12 replies
PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 27 May 2010 , 5:57pm
post #2 of 13

I would've charged a bare minimum $350 depending on if the ribbon was provided or not.

Yes, I think you undercharged by a whole lot. That's less than $2/serving for a fondant cake.

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 27 May 2010 , 6:15pm
post #3 of 13

I'm not in the cake business (only do it as a hobby for family and friends), so please take my comment for what it is... I believe you undercharged by a lot. I just did a cake for my niece's christening this past weekend. 6-8-10 inch scratch cakes with buttercream, covered in marshmallow fondant, with pink gumpaste roses, green leaves and white filler flowers. I would have charged at least $200.00 for it if it were for sale. icon_smile.gif

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 27 May 2010 , 6:23pm
post #4 of 13

I paid more than that for my wedding cake and it was awful! I imagine that yours will be wonderful...yup, undercharged. At this point I would let them know that you gave them a discount off of your "regular" prices. THEN, establish some! Most calculate per serving. Good luck icon_smile.gif

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 27 May 2010 , 6:25pm
post #5 of 13

Honestly if it is your first cake and you are not comfortable with your skills yet I would not cahrge at all but if you are taking the first step to "sell" a cake and you have the skill set to provide a professionally finished cake then you should get a professional price for it. I charge $4 a serving for a fondant covered cake so for that cake which serves 118 I would charge $472 plus whatever delivery charge you may require based on distance. HTH

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 27 May 2010 , 6:29pm
post #6 of 13

You need to set a base price per serving. Figure out your cost for everything and time involved to get your price. There are alot of posts here on CC about this subject. If you search I am sure you will find what you need.

My base price per serving is 3.00. That is just buttercream, simple border. This cake would have been 3.50 per serving.

118 servings - $413.00. Yes, you definitely way under charged.

You live and learn. After you do this one you will have an idea of time involved and will get better with pricing.

malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 27 May 2010 , 6:37pm
post #7 of 13

I would charge minimum $225 for that. But.....my very first wedding cake was 100 servings and I charged $75 because I felt I was far from a professional then. Also I live in a very rural area where most people can rent an appartment for $300-$400 a month.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 May 2010 , 6:51pm
post #8 of 13

First using the entire cake a 6/9/12 serves 100, so your sizing is off by quite a bit.

For me fondant cakes are $4 per serving, so the base price would be $400 plus an equipment fee plus a delivery fee.

Are you licensed or do you need to be? Because that also influences the price.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 27 May 2010 , 6:51pm
post #9 of 13

when I first started "selling" my cakes I constantly was undercharging but felt pressure to give a price on the spot........so I did like what was mentioned above and told them "I gave you a great discount since I'm building my portfolio right now"....people were excited to get money off and didn't expect it again the next time.

I printed out an invoice (made it myself.......now I have cake boss)......and figured up what I "should have" charged based on other bakeries in my area and how much it cost me to make the cake (save your receipts so you REALLY know what it costs you to make the cake) and then wrote down what I quoted them, and put a spot for "discount" and had the difference there. In some cases people got $100.00 or more off of their cakes and when they saw the invoice they thanked me profusely and lots of them threw in a tip as well once they realized how cheaply they got the cake!

I suggest you do something like that, you'll have a good idea of "what to charge" next time and these people won't come back looking for such a great deal next time!!

andreamen1 Posted 27 May 2010 , 7:24pm
post #10 of 13

thank you everyone one your replys i know i really under charged i don't know why i felt so nervous about this cake i guess when i hear wedding it's not my first paid cake ever. i know im a dummy jk next time im gonna charge per serving

Minstrelmiss Posted 27 May 2010 , 7:36pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

First using the entire cake a 6/9/12 serves 100, so your sizing is off by quite a bit.

Ooooo, yeah, I think the 3" differences between layers looks so much prettier than 2". This would increase your profit margin too (if there is one) thumbs_up.gif

andreamen1 Posted 27 May 2010 , 7:50pm
post #12 of 13

oh yeah and leah thank for the cake sizing i thought about that to giving extra cake is not worth it. and then i don't even think 100 ppl we even gonna show cause at first they said for 75 i think they wanted extra just in case.

Minstrelmiss Posted 27 May 2010 , 9:13pm
post #13 of 13

Well sure they want extra when you're paying for it! (not meant to be snarky)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%