Monster Truck Cake

Decorating By debbie2881 Updated 13 Jul 2010 , 4:56pm by debbie2881

debbie2881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbie2881 Posted 27 May 2010 , 1:06pm
post #1 of 11

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1320856

I want to attempt this super awesome cake in July but i'm hoping you all will help me. The few times I tried fondant it didnt go so well but that was MMF, with this cake i'm going with wilton because I heard that its easier to work with.

I'm having hubby make me a stand so all i'll really need help with is the cake itself, fondant etc.

Questions:

1. Would I use silver luster dust for the sheen on the blue? You see a sheen too right?
2. How would I go about making the lightening?
3. Wheels are made of rice krispies would it just be basic rice krispy treats or made a different way for molding?
4. What would you start making days in advance?

Any other tips you can offer I would appreciate it!

I desperately need your expertise!

Thank you in advance.

10 replies
debbie2881 Posted 27 May 2010 , 11:53pm
post #2 of 11

Pretty please help? icon_smile.gif

debbie2881 Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 11:23pm
post #3 of 11

Please anyone?

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 11:43pm
post #4 of 11

You could use rice krispies for the wheels as long as you have a good support system (they wouldn't hold the weight, obviously)...

I do see the Sheen on the truck, but I think it might have been just steamed...BEFORE any decorating was done. If you did it after, the lightening would run as the lightening looks hand painted.

I would prepare the wheels, paint all the dowel looking truck accents (roll bar, and underneath) and make the support system days in advance for sure. Author said it took days to make and was a lot of work, so be sure to give yourself plenty of time.
I, myself would also make an "extra:" wheel...murphy's law rules my kitchen.
I would also make the fondant ahead of time, getting it all colored and such.

LilaLoa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LilaLoa Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 2:32pm
post #5 of 11

You could use a pearl luster dust on top of the blue to give it a sheen without a shine.

I would just paint the lightning on with white-white.

For the wheels, I would recommend adding melted chocolate to the melted marshmallows to make them super firm. That way their own weight won't deform them.

Make the frame as early as possible. And definitely the fondant...especially if you are going for such a dark blue!

I made a Monster Truck cake last month and did it all in 2 days. They really aren't that hard (ESPECIALLY if someone ELSE is making the frame!)

Angelfire3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angelfire3 Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 3:01pm
post #6 of 11

That is a gorgeous cake. My boys would go crazy over something like that.

This may be a silly question, but what is the frame? Is it sturdier than a cake board? What I'm thinking is you have a piece of plywood or something strong like that, using bolts/nails, sit the cake on top etc? is that what you gals are talking about? How do you plan to shape the truck? Carving or using a shaped cake pan?

debbie2881 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 1:57am
post #7 of 11

Thank you all for the responses, I really appreciate it.

Jewel710 can you please explain steaming? Great tip on making an extra wheel, ty!

Avalyn I have to look up white-white, dont know what that is. I'm not planning to make my own fondant for this, i'm going to probably buy some satin ice, do you think I would be able to add melted chocolate to that? Prob not right? If i'm using a support system and the truck wont be standing on its own wheels do you think I still need to add some chocolate to the fondant?

Artese we're (hubby) planning to do a piece of wood on the bottom then nail large dowles onto it and then nail another piece of wood on top. The cake will be on a cake board and then go onto the stand. I'm carving the cake, it will be one rectangular piece with another small piece on top for the cab. Dont know yet if i'm going with the angeled stand yet though, may just leave it flat.

Thanks again icon_smile.gif.

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 2:04am
post #8 of 11

No, you can't add melted chocolate to fondant. You can buy Satin Ice in various colors, or use color gels to tint it.

regymusic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regymusic Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 2:28am
post #9 of 11

Satin Ice and chocolate do not mix well, but I have had great success mixing in chocolate with FondX. Better yet, why not just use Choco-Pan which is a rolled chocolate fondant which is available in a range of colors?

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 2:53am
post #10 of 11

you can add in modeling chocolate with any fondant. that will help it to be more pliable and taste really good too.

debbie2881 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 4:56pm
post #11 of 11

I'll be starting this process today, any last tips??

I'm hoping to get hubby to make the stand for me today (have all materials) and i'll make the wheels tomorrow. Do you think I should color the fondant thursday or wait till friday or saturday? I'm planning to put the cake together on sunday.

Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%