How Do I Make Shoes Run?

Decorating By Alery Updated 27 May 2010 , 11:17pm by Alery

Alery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alery Posted 27 May 2010 , 11:38am
post #1 of 6

My BIL asked me to do a cake that reflects a bumper sticker about running for beer. So he wants a pair of running sneakers "running" towards a beer keg. I figured I would make the cake board look like a road, and I don't have a problem with making the keg. What's getting me is how to make a large (I'm thinking the size of my sons shoes which are a kids size 1) pair of shoes and have one look like it's in mid stride. I figured one could be flat, then the other half bent. Now how do I do this? RKT's maybe, or just gumpaste. If I did cake I would need a support for the raised part of the shoe, right?. Please help. Thanks for sharing your expertise!!!

5 replies
katnmouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katnmouse Posted 27 May 2010 , 12:01pm
post #2 of 6

If one foot is fully flat the other has to be suspended in the air behind it in an almost verticle position. You could try mid stride in which the front foot heel down and toe up (45 degree angle) and back foot is toe down and heel up (again 45 degree). HTH

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 27 May 2010 , 12:25pm
post #3 of 6

I'd use fondant with a little added Tylose, and the prop the shoe(s) on a little wedge of cardboard or even the edge of a paper plate to dry.

If you want one of the feet mid stride, then yes, you'll need support.

Google running, feet running shoes, running (you get the idea); seeing a pic always helps me determine how something should look.

HTH, and BTW, I love the concept, can't wait to see the finished cake!

icon_redface.gif Sorry, I failed to pay attention to your whole post...the part where the shoes will be kid-sized icon_razz.gif ...I was thinking small.

Alery Posted 27 May 2010 , 5:04pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the replies, I thought I would get my kids to run around for me so I could get some exact foot placement, I just need to figure out exactly what method to use.

hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 27 May 2010 , 6:29pm
post #5 of 6

Make it as if the shoes were about to start a track race, with the rear foot against a starting block. icon_smile.gif

Alery Posted 27 May 2010 , 11:17pm
post #6 of 6

Thats a great idea, thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%