Ack! Chocolate Ganache Help Please!

Decorating By confectionsofahousewife Updated 26 May 2010 , 6:06pm by confectionsofahousewife

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 25 May 2010 , 9:58pm
post #1 of 12

I am making chocolate ganache for the first time. I just finished making it and its consistency is like thick chocolate milk is that right? Will it get thicker as it sets? I am planning on whipping it tomorrow to fill and ice a cake. Also, it is a much lighter chocolate than I was expecting. Is there a different recipe for a dark chocolate ganache? The recipe I used is 1/2 lb. semi sweet chocolate and 1 qt of heavy cream. Is that the correct ratio?? Thanks!

11 replies
princesssalamander Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesssalamander Posted 25 May 2010 , 10:10pm
post #2 of 12

I don't know what your ratio's are like there but I use the same amount of chocolate as cream, so if it was say 200ml cream I'd use 200grams chocolate. Once it's melted into the cream I tend to chill for a few hours then whip, but not for too long else the cream will seperate. I have left this overnight before before whipping, and it went solid, I had to put it in the microwave for about 20 seconds before I could whip it! Once mixed with cream chocolate will get lighter, and once whipped it will turn lighter still. HTH

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 25 May 2010 , 10:16pm
post #3 of 12

Your ratio for dark chocolate ganache should be two parts chocolate to one part cream by WEIGHT (3:1 for white chocolate). So for 8 oz. of chocolate you only need 4 oz. (1/2 c.) cream, not 32 oz.

You can still save it, though. Just gently heat up your mixture and add more chopped chocolate, let it melt, and whisk. If you want a LOT of ganache, use your whole batch and add 3.5 pounds chocolate. If you don't need that much, just take out 1/3 c. of your mixture and add 7 oz. chocolate. This will take into account the chocolate already in there and give you the correct ratio.

Good luck!

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 25 May 2010 , 10:23pm
post #4 of 12

I have been making ganache for a very long time and my base ratio is 10oz chocolate to 1cup heavy cream.

princesssalamander Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesssalamander Posted 25 May 2010 , 10:24pm
post #5 of 12

hmmm, maybe that's where I've been going wrong, not enough chocolate. When I did add more chocolate though I couldn't get it even the mixture even after whipping was just too stiff. Using equal weights is easier to work with but doesn't hold up as well as I'd hoped - so I guess I need to use more chocolate again then!

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 25 May 2010 , 10:31pm
post #6 of 12

I also have the best luck with 2:1 dark chocolate(I use ghirardelli's 60% cacao bittersweet baking chips) and it's so excellent! Rich, dark, creamy and oh so decadent! Whips up nice and fluffy too! The best is when I add a bit of espresso or Kahlua to it YUM!!! I usually let it set up for around 30-60+ min depending what I need it for.

confectionsofahousewife Posted 25 May 2010 , 10:56pm
post #7 of 12

Thank you so much for your replies! I was using a recipe for whipped ganache that I found here on cc. Obviously the proportions are off! Yikes. Hopefully I can save it or I'll just remake it tomorrow. Its just for a family cake to take to the lake this weekend so its no big deal but I'm glad I have figured this out now!

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 26 May 2010 , 1:27am
post #8 of 12

Ganache, ganache, ganache....I can never get it right either.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 26 May 2010 , 2:50am
post #9 of 12

I never have any trouble. I use 2:1 ratio for dark chocolate and 3:1 ratio for white chocolate. 12 ounces dark chocolate and 1 cup heavy cream.
12 ounces white chocolate and 1/2 cup heavy cream. If you do it this way it will come out perfect everytime. Easy Peasy.

confectionsofahousewife Posted 26 May 2010 , 1:08pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I never have any trouble. I use 2:1 ratio for dark chocolate and 3:1 ratio for white chocolate. 12 ounces dark chocolate and 1 cup heavy cream.
12 ounces white chocolate and 1/2 cup heavy cream. If you do it this way it will come out perfect everytime. Easy Peasy.

Okay, so two questions:

1. How do I know how much chocolate and cream I need to ice an 8 inch square?

2. Do I let it set up in the fridge overnight before whipping it?

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 26 May 2010 , 1:38pm
post #11 of 12

[quote="confectionsofahousewife"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Okay, so two questions:

1. How do I know how much chocolate and cream I need to ice an 8 inch square? What I use for 8 inch cake
12 ounces of semi-sweet (has to be semi-sweet) chocolate
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons real butter
break chocolate up into pieces in glass bowl. heat heavy cream, sugar and butter to boiling. pour over chocolate and wait 5 minutes. stir until chocolate is melted and it's shiny. let sit at room tempaure for 24 hours before using.

2. Do I let it set up in the fridge overnight before whipping it?

NO

confectionsofahousewife Posted 26 May 2010 , 6:06pm
post #12 of 12

Thank you so much! You've been most helpful. I'm off to try it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%