Lucks Designer Prints /edible Images- Any Experience??

Decorating By misty1989 Updated 27 May 2010 , 1:30am by misty1989

misty1989 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misty1989 Posted 24 May 2010 , 9:38pm
post #1 of 6

I have not used an edible image in very long time..... icon_sad.gif
I purchased the " hats off grad" cake ( shown in link) and i am making it for my DD's graduation in 3 weeks.
My question is - I am looking to see if anyone has used this product, or any edible image that has mostly black - I am worried about it fading. ( actually, paranoid over it fading icon_eek.gif ) if i decorate it too soon.
I have a empty bedroom at home that i can shut the blinds to keep the sun out of direct contact,and the party venue is indoors.
the party is on a Saturday, and i was hoping to bake the layers on Thursday, and decorate it on Friday. ( i really do not want to decorate right beore the party on Saturday, because i have so much else to do, but if it will mean having a pretty fresh cake vs. a faded ugly cake i will get up extra early and decorate it at 5am Saturday morning icon_eek.gif )
I am using Buttercream icing.
SO i am hoping someone has experiance with this product, or something close to it with the dark colors.
I would really like to know if i can decorate it fully on Friday.
**my only other qurik is that top sugar piece- will it start to disinagrate from the shortening in the icing in 24 hours?
heres the link - http://lucks.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=page&pageid=1504

Thank You,

Tina

5 replies
icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 25 May 2010 , 12:50am
post #2 of 6

I believe the black in on the Lucks products holds very well. But I havent used it personally. I just assumed that I would have heard complaints about it if it did.

misty1989 Posted 25 May 2010 , 2:22pm
post #3 of 6

any other members worked with this product?

I am thinking as of now i will decorate it on friday ( bake the layers on Thursday) and pray for the best.

KCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KCC Posted 25 May 2010 , 2:34pm
post #4 of 6

I have not used the lucks but have my own edible printer. The longer the cake sits the softer the images get. Friday should be fine.

KasiaWilk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KasiaWilk Posted 26 May 2010 , 3:49pm
post #5 of 6

icon_biggrin.gif I did this cake for this photograph. I have worked for Lucks as a Decorating Consultant for the last 15+ years.
And you are on the right track. Bake the cake Thursday, if possible freeze it. Assemble, ice and decorate on Friday, late in the afternoon if possible. And the cool dark room is a good idea. The hat on top is supported with roses and icing and you won't have a problem with it falling over.
Good Luck
Kasia Wilk

misty1989 Posted 27 May 2010 , 1:30am
post #6 of 6

thumbs_up.gif thank you for responding!
you did a wonderful job - my dd fell in love with that cake the moment she saw it thumbs_up.gif

thanks again,

Tina

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%