Stacking A Wedding Cake?!? Help :)

Decorating By deescuppycakes Updated 25 May 2010 , 10:03pm by tonedna

deescuppycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deescuppycakes Posted 24 May 2010 , 7:56pm
post #1 of 17

Hi there-

i know alot of you are great cake decorators, so this questions should be a snap for you.

Whats the best way to stack a 12-9-6 3 teir wedding cake? and vids or step by steps with pic would be amazing.

what i have done before is put each teir on a cake board same size as the cake. do this to each teir. putting 4 dowel rods under each teir for support. then running a dowel rod the size of the entire cake down the middle thru each teir. just making sure thats the more supportive and best way to stack. please any suggestions would be awesome. This site has been amazing

thanks
dee

16 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 24 May 2010 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 17

Hi there,

Sounds like you have been doing the right steps. I would, however use a LOT more dowels to support the tiers...you may even consider using SPS for cakes over 3 tiers.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 24 May 2010 , 8:46pm
post #3 of 17

I use the rule of thumb of every 4" of height needs a cake board, and every 2" of diameter needs a dowel!

So in your cake, when stacking the 9" on the 12 (9 divided by 2"= 4.5) I would use 4 or 5 dowels under that cake, and for the 6" cake I'd use 3 dowels under it.

If you're using a plastic plate under each cake, then most likely you'll have to use 4 dowels in each since most plates require 4.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 May 2010 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 17

With SPS (secure, easy cheap) each plate takes four legs. Much, much better than dowels. Especially for a cake as important as a wedding cake!

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 24 May 2010 , 9:18pm
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

With SPS (secure, easy cheap) each plate takes four legs. Much, much better than dowels. Especially for a cake as important as a wedding cake!

thumbs_up.gif this is the BEST SAFE way!! but if you dont have it.... then you need a lot more dowels than what you are saying.....

hth

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 24 May 2010 , 9:29pm
post #6 of 17

I recently chickened out of using the SPS, because i thought one of my tiers wasn't tall enough. I used the bubble tea straws and it worked out great. I'll try my SPS another time. Under a 12" square tier, i used 9-10 straws.

mkelso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkelso Posted 24 May 2010 , 9:38pm
post #7 of 17

I am a newbie....what is SPS?

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 24 May 2010 , 9:47pm
post #8 of 17

This is the way I do it for up to 4 tiers.

Edna icon_smile.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 24 May 2010 , 9:50pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkelso

I am a newbie....what is SPS?

check out Leahs signature for where to get more info!

It is a support system for cakes, and an awesome one at that!

DebbyJG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyJG Posted 24 May 2010 , 9:56pm
post #10 of 17

Those of you who use SPS - what do you use to cut the legs down to size if your tier isn't exactly the right height?

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 24 May 2010 , 10:15pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyJG

Those of you who use SPS - what do you use to cut the legs down to size if your tier isn't exactly the right height?

You can use the HS-10 10" Mini Hack Saw by Bakery Crafts to cut their Single Plate Separators. http://bakerycrafts.com/Home/Items/tabid/69/SrchStr/saw/Default.aspx

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 May 2010 , 10:32pm
post #12 of 17

couldn't have said it better myself!

for more info
|
|
|
|
|
|
V

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 24 May 2010 , 11:44pm
post #13 of 17

I use the SPS.

cnhiatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cnhiatt Posted 25 May 2010 , 12:01am
post #14 of 17

I tried SPS for the first time last week and it was pretty easy. The cake was transported 1 1/2 hours with no problem.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 25 May 2010 , 12:27am
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyJG

I use a regular saw with a meiter box.......cuts them perfectly straight every time!
LL

deescuppycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deescuppycakes Posted 25 May 2010 , 1:45pm
post #16 of 17

Thanks guys so much. Where i live no one sells the sps system... I know ill have to order it online. Ill have to try it on my next cake, i dont think ill have time for it to get here. i should of looked at the system sooner but thanks for the lead. I looked at them and they seem really great.

Edna, ur like my cake idol!!!!!! i have watched all ur utube vids and ur amazing. I hope to be as good as u one day (doubt it lol) but u really are a great teacher and thanks for posting great vids to help us newbi's out

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 25 May 2010 , 10:03pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by deescuppycakes

Thanks guys so much. Where i live no one sells the sps system... I know ill have to order it online. Ill have to try it on my next cake, i dont think ill have time for it to get here. i should of looked at the system sooner but thanks for the lead. I looked at them and they seem really great.

Edna, ur like my cake idol!!!!!! i have watched all ur utube vids and ur amazing. I hope to be as good as u one day (doubt it lol) but u really are a great teacher and thanks for posting great vids to help us newbi's out

Thanks girl!... there are plenty of options use the one you can! Good luck!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%