Satin Finish On Fondant????????????

Decorating By abed Updated 30 Aug 2011 , 3:37am by AngPA83

abed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abed Posted 24 May 2010 , 3:49pm
post #1 of 9

I recently saw Food Network Challange, Sex in the city cakes and one of the competitors made a shoe and painted like it was satin? What is the technique for this, what did she add to her paint to make it like this?

8 replies
Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 26 May 2010 , 10:03pm
post #2 of 9

I don't know what she used, but it looked fabulous! I think she told the judges, because they asked her also, but I can't remember what she said.

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 26 May 2010 , 11:16pm
post #3 of 9

I don't know what shoe you mean but was it just shiny (didn't see the show)? could it have been pearl dust?

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 26 May 2010 , 11:34pm
post #4 of 9

That was Michelle Bommarito. I e-mailed her the question. We'll see if she responds. Met her recently at a local cake club's Day of Sharing. She is super nice and seemed very willing to share information. She is the only well-known decorator that I have ever seen that took the time to shake hands with and introduce herself to every person at the demonstration.

Sorry to hijack your thread but I'll let you know if I hear back from her.

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 27 May 2010 , 1:32am
post #5 of 9

Okay here is a close-up of a shoe and bow I did. Is this what you are talking about the sheen (on the bow and the shoe)? or was it the wood grain look like on moire satin?
LL

Shannon1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannon1129 Posted 27 May 2010 , 11:39pm
post #6 of 9

I think it had more of a Matt finish. But that is a fabulous shoe!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 28 May 2010 , 11:45am
post #7 of 9

I had the episode on DVR - she didn't say what she used icon_cry.gif

abed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abed Posted 28 May 2010 , 12:50pm
post #8 of 9

Thank you Bonnel for e-mailing her. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope that she responds. Yes, it was more of a mat finish to it.

AngPA83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngPA83 Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 3:37am
post #9 of 9

Have you tried steaming it? I've never personally done that but from my understanding, it gives the fondant a sateen finish. You could use a handheld clothing steamer or just the steam setting on an iron and hold it close, but not too close so it doesn't melt the fondant from the heat of the iron

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%