My Experience With Using Michele Foster's Fondant....

Decorating By Thanksharla Updated 25 May 2010 , 2:23am by mamawrobin

Thanksharla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thanksharla Posted 23 May 2010 , 8:23pm
post #1 of 7

I made Michele Foster's fondant for the first time this week. I was rather impressed with it. It was easy to make. Not to many more steps than making MMF. We like the taste and it was nice to work with.

My only problem was it was a bit dry, I worked in a few more drops of glycerin and that seemed to solve the problem.

Now, getting it on the cake was another story. For the life of me I can not cover a cake in fondant and make it nice and smooth. I always seem to end up with ripples on the side. Good thing there were roses that were going on the side anyways....see it all works out in the end.

6 replies
rebecabpg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebecabpg Posted 23 May 2010 , 9:42pm
post #2 of 7

I'm dying to try it, but I was in the kitchen yesterday for hours on end, and decided to end it with the MMF that I had never tried. Next weekend perhaps.
As for the fondant over the cake, do you do it little by little and section by section. I've found when I do it this way its smooth all over.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 24 May 2010 , 2:50am
post #3 of 7

I LOVE Michele Foster's Fondant. It is "hands down" the best for taste and workability. I knead it quite a bit before I actually knead it before covering my cake. Hope that makes sense.
After I make it I always let it rest overnight or at least 6 hours. When I ready to cover my cake, I take the amount I'm going to be using and work with a large handfull at a time. I knead each "handfull" until I have it all kneaded and then knead it together before rolling out. I never have any trouble covering my cakes with this fondant. Actually it's the only fondant that I've used that I haven't had to take off the cake and redo it. It goes on perfect everytime.

Did you add the entire 3 1/2 pounds of powdered sugar? I never add the full amount. I always have some left in my bowl after making it. I just add the powdered sugar in while it's kneading in my mixer until I can stick a finger in it and it leaves an indention w/o leaving any on my finger. Then I turn it out on my work surface that's dusted with powdered sugar. I keand it for a bit and wrap in greased plastic wrap.

I usually make the white chocolate version because I like the taste and the white chocolate seems to make it a little more pliable.

Thanksharla Posted 24 May 2010 , 3:07am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I LOVE Michele Foster's Fondant. It is "hands down" the best for taste and workability. I knead it quite a bit before I actually knead it before covering my cake. Hope that makes sense.
After I make it I always let it rest overnight or at least 6 hours. When I ready to cover my cake, I take the amount I'm going to be using and work with a large handfull at a time. I knead each "handfull" until I have it all kneaded and then knead it together before rolling out. I never have any trouble covering my cakes with this fondant. Actually it's the only fondant that I've used that I haven't had to take off the cake and redo it. It goes on perfect everytime.

Did you add the entire 3 1/2 pounds of powdered sugar? I never add the full amount. I always have some left in my bowl after making it. I just add the powdered sugar in while it's kneading in my mixer until I can stick a finger in it and it leaves an indention w/o leaving any on my finger. Then I turn it out on my work surface that's dusted with powdered sugar. I keand it for a bit and wrap in greased plastic wrap.

I usually make the white chocolate version because I like the taste and the white chocolate seems to make it a little more pliable.

You know. Next time I will do the kneading hand fulls at a time before rolling it out to cover the cake. I will admit that I was in a hurry as the kids tend to only give me a limited amount of time to do anything cake related.

mamawrobin Posted 24 May 2010 , 3:12am
post #5 of 7

I know what you mean about kids and patience. I have seven of my own. icon_lol.gif

The more you knead this fondant the better it will perform for you.

Thanksharla Posted 24 May 2010 , 7:12pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I know what you mean about kids and patience. I have seven of my own. icon_lol.gif

The more you knead this fondant the better it will perform for you.

Holy cats!! 7 kids.....how do you get anything done? icon_eek.gif I will definitely not give up on my MFF. I really like the taste a lot better than MMF.

mamawrobin Posted 25 May 2010 , 2:23am
post #7 of 7

quote]

Holy cats!! 7 kids.....how do you get anything done? icon_eek.gif I will definitely not give up on my MFF. I really like the taste a lot better than MMF.[/quote]

Most of them are grown now, I only have 3 left at home. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%